Did your child stop using sippy cup?

My first was like 2.5 years old with very few spills, but my youngest she is 3 years old and I give her a regular cup and with in 5 minutes of having it she spills i on accident. Is it ok that she is till spilling her drinks at 3 years old?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL sounds like my DD she is 3 and is forever spilling her drink. My son is almost 5 and has gotten the hang of it now but it took him a little bit to get used to it. I wouldn't worry too much, she'll get better as she gets older most likely.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It is normal. Sippy cups r used until preschool or kindergarten. That would be 4 or 5 y/o.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• ds is 3 and kinda gets it, but for everyday use its sippy cup...we are going to work on a regular one this summer....outside...with water only!!! lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You know, before sippy cups. Kids went from bottle to regular cup. With not to much problem. You just put very little liquid in the cup. I tought my grandaughter this way. I would put water in the cup. So it would not be to hard to clean up. As soon as she figured out how to tip it so it would not spill. She was ok with it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• she spills her cups every single day even if I give her a sippy cup during the day and a regular one for dinner she will spill that one at dinner. I mean every time she has a cup (regular) she spills it
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Show her how to do it. Take the cup and put it up to her mouth.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm not trying to be mean but your daughter is not ready for a regular cup she needs sippy cup still until she can get the hang of it but you can practice with her everyday with a regular cup my daughter will be 2 in april and she still takes a sippy cup just fine my sister in law still gives my niece and nephew a sippy cup and there 3 and 4 .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• she knows how to do it. She will take a drink ust fine n she sits it down then usually when she picks it back up or something she spills it
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• alexia_09

the doctor we use to have (we don't have anymore) told me that I needed to do one or the other, but not both. Not sure why he told me that, but that is what he said when my oldest was little
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The pediatrician suggested one or the other, not both, because a regular cup and a sippy cup require different sucking motions of the mouth. If you take a young child who easily gets confused, and one minute your telling them to suck, then the next your telling them to sip, its going to confuse the daylights out of them. Children spill, it happens. My 5 year old still spills his cup on a regular basis, he's just old enough to clean his own messes now, so that's what he does. But it happens. Either decide for your sanity to put her back on the sippy (or a cup with a straw and lid) all the time, and wait till she's older, or go to all normal cups, and expect lots and lots of spills for years to come. We have hardwood floors, so it's not the end of the world if he spills. But if we had carpets I can promise you my 5 year old would still have a cup with a lid and straw.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011