My child HATES reading, how can i get her to read? Does your child like to read?

She is 9. She is supposed to read for 25 min every night, then on Thursday she's supposed to write a reading letter to her teacher about what she read about. She comes up with EVERY excuse not to read "my eyes hurt, I'm tired, I'm hungry, he hurt my feelings & now i don't feel like it" If i get too angry with her, her feelings get hurt & she cannot focus. I feel like i have to walk on eggshells when it comes to reading, otherwise it will not get done & everybody will be stressed.

Just now we were in her bed TRYING to read, she accidentally kicked me in my ear & yes, it hurt very badly. I tried not to get too upset, as i know she did not do it on purpose, it was just a weird stretch gone wrong. Anyhow, she kept apologizing about it & i said "I am not upset because you kicked me, i am upset because you will never read easily, there is always an issue with you" Now, she is the victim some how. Somehow i hurt her feelings. UGGGGG! She is so over emotional & i sometimes feel like she uses it to manipulate. I got fed up & told her to call me when she is done crying......which just made her cry more....

Does your kid like to read? If not, how do you get them to read for homework?

She reads well, she just never EVER wants to read.....it kills me especially since all the kids in her class seem to love it & read lots of great books on their own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• First of all, not all children love to read.. and this was a funny thing in my house. My dh, myself and my oldest dtr are readers.. I am a very slow reader but do enjoy it. My younger dtr has no desire to read for pleasure.
    I focused on her interests and went from there.. we got horse books, horse magazines.. horse board games and she STILL was not inclined to read.
    I bribed her with items she wanted.. if you read ;;;;;, I will get the stuffed animal that you want.

We also got her books with tapes so she could read along.

It turned out that yes she could read it, but she could not re-tell the story...... at all!
    SO we focused on her re-telling.... now that was a headache , believe me!
    Finally, I made sure she was taking extra time for things that needed reading and remembering....like history.
    on her own she began to read... but it was very much later.
    Now in colege, she has to read her notes EVERY night to do well.
    BrenMOM

Answer by BrenMOM at 1:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My children love to read, age 5 and 9 but I know many children who are just like your daughter.

Do you have a pet? Have her read to the pet, it actually works because the animal doesn't judge or correct, so sometimes it takes that comfort level. I would also recommend a reading tutor to help her out. And I would take a saturday trip to the library, let her pick the book and read one chapter there, followed by an ice cream cone somewhere.

And take a good chapter book like The Twits...everyone loves the twits by roald dahl. Read one chapter to her, then ask her to read one chapter back to you. When you read, take your time and try to make the story interesting as possible. Stop and ask questions as you go, like...what do you think is going to happen to her, or do you remember what he gets caught in his scruffy beard?...it will help.

These are the things I would try, but most of all I would start with a good tutor.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 6:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My son is 5 years old, and has begun to read. I have read to him since he was a toddler. He seems to really enjoy reading. Maybe go to the library and let her pick out books she may be interested in reading. If she has to read books from school maybe you read one page and let her read the next. Maybe giving her a break so that the book may not seem as long. You read one chapter let her read another chapter. You would think she would like to read since you state she reads well. Most children who do not like to read may have problems actually reading and seem frustrated. Maybe have a rewards system read so many books and plan a day together doing something she likes or something special. Try to make it relaxing- like read before bedtime. So she is relaxed and not as stressed. Praise her when she does read, and hopefully she will want positive reaction instead of the negative.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My dd does much better if she can read by herself. When she is finished I look through the book and ask her questions to make sure she is actually reading and understanding the story. I also, occasionally have her read one page out loud to me, so I can check her progress.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 7:32 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Have her eyes checked. Make sure she is able to comprehend what she is reading. Make sure she can read the book, is it her reading level or is the book too hard? You can read a page or paragraph and have her read you a page or paragraph. Ask the teacher if she has trouble reading in class. If you have a pet or younger sibling, have her read to them. NO ONE to criticize her reading skills and that is a big thing for new readers or readers who aren't very confident.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Make a game out of it. You read the first word.and she reads the second and so on. If that works, then try reading a page and then let her read a page. You can also find out what she is interested in and buy her a couple of books based on her interests. Making if fun instead of a chore could possibly make all the difference in the world.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011