Help I am going insane and I don't know what else to do. My DD almost 6 still wets the bed.

She will be 6 in April. The thing is my youngest just turned 3 in January and she has been potty trained since like 21 months. She hasn't wet the bed since she was 12 months. My oldest she was potty trained at 19 months old. She went from 26 months-3 years without wetting the bed then she started again. It isn't every single day, but it is quiet often. She goes to bed at 830 wakes for school at 7, but the days she don't have school she goes to bed when we do around 10 or 11 and she goes to the bathroom before bed and I stop drinks at 6 and she still wets the bed at times. I am tired and don't know what to do her room smells like pee, she is ruining her mattress, she stained her sheets, I have put a plastic trash bag under the sheet, I have bought a sheet that is for bedwetters and the ways she sleeps they end up off the bed. I have threatened to put her back in diapers a night. I don't know what else to do, but I am getting stressed over it because I don't know what else to do, but her room smells like pee no matter how much I scrub it I can't get the smell out and she is ruining her mattress. The doctor didn't say anything she says they don't consider it to be a problem until at least the age of 12 or 13.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is what they make Goodnites for. Its not her fault!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It's not that big of a deal. Make sure she uses the bathroom every night right before bed & use the goodnights for bigger kids. Whatever you do, don't make her feel humiliated for doing it, if she could help it...I'm sure she would.

Get her a new mattress, buy the goodnights & don't make her feel bad for wearing them. She most likely already feels like crap for wetting her bed in the first place. Only love & patience helps these things. Put the big kid diapers on her, let her know it's OK that it's just to help in case there is an accident. If you notice her goodnights are dry a lot, then try a few nights without one.

My 9 year old wet her bed the other night. She said she had to pee & was dreaming that she was in the ocean. She said she just started peeing because she thought it was OK. Even big kids have accidents, don't stress her out about it too much, it wont help at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Talk with your ped doctor. The bladder might be undeveloped and therefore, they put them on medicine for a few mths. My sisters daughter had to do this and she had no problem. My sister also had this when she was a child. They cannot help it.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• On top of what no.2 said also try leaving the hallway light on so if she wakes up needing a wee she's not too scared to take herself to the bathroom.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Make your life easier and put her in some pull ups at night.

Answer by louise2 at 7:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Well, I'd say to 1st, get a 2nd opinion.. I would also talk to the guidance councelor to talk w/your DD to find out what is on her mind.. It can be the 2nd child there now.. There is a reason for this.. Any Dr. who tells you different is full of crap.. She may be able to talk to someone else she trusts besides her mom.. She may need to talk w/someone in case she needs to say things she might feel will upset you.. Could it be the baby is 3 yrs. old, but still takes alot of time your DD doesn't have w/you now.. I'd persue this.. Hope she talks to get it out.. Take Care, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 7:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I knew a girl in college that still did it. they couldn't find anything physically wrong, it was just one of those things.

Good luck, and I hope that your daughter outgrows it like so many do.
    Anonymous

• Bedwetting is not a choice she's making, so threatening to put her back in diapers is mean, because she has no control over the issue. That's why they make goodnights. Bedwetting is also completely normal in some children as late as 12 years. My brother wet the bed till he was 10. At this point they discovered he had overactive bladder, put him on medication, and the bedwetting stopped. But he was humiliated enough on his own, he didn't need my mom to guilt him or make him feel bad. I'd start with buying a new mattress, get some rubber sheets to put on it, buy some goodnights, ask the pediatrician to test for overactive bladder, and then let her know she's still loved and its COMPLETELY NORMAL and nothing to be ashamed of.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My step son is 10 and still does it!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 7:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It varies all over the place when a child will be dry at night. My kids were 6-7, my brothers were 8 or so, and some kids go older than that. Your doctor is correct about this. She should be in pullups as long as she needs them. Talk to her about it and tell her you understand now that it is not something to worry about and you will get her pullups. Take all the frustration, anger (if any), and disappointment out of the situation. She will get there eventually. Remind her you love her. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011