I have to take him

My son is almost 2 1/2, hes been "potty trained" since 2. But, if I don't take him every so often, he will hold it for hours until he either wets a little, or wets it all! He knows he has to go but would rather play, he hates missing the action. How do I get over this hurdle. Hes been in only underwear since 19 months, so at least I'm not still buying diapers I guess. If I ask him if he needs to go, he will yell no and run away so he can keep playing. But if I just take him he goes right away with no fighting. Personally I don't mind taking him, but if hes with other people he tends to have accidents. And he starts day care this week for the first time,only 5 hours a week, and I'm worried hes gonna have accidents all the time.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 6:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is doing so well! But he still has a way to go. Take him when you need to and depend on that more than asking him if he has to go. Talk to the day care staff and explain what is going on. They deal with this all the time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• He's most definitely going to have accidents at daycare. If he doesn't then good for him! But be prepared to have him come home with wet clothes much more so then at home, and don't punish him for it. Daycare is going to be new, scary, exciting, overwhelming etc and all of these emotions are going to overrule the fact that he's "potty trained". Be proud of the progress he's made, let daycare know he won't stop playing to go, and then keep doing what you're doing. As he ages and matures so will his bladder control and the willingness to put down the toys. My son is 5 and the difference between him and your son is a mature bladder. He can hold it a lot longer then your 2.5 year old, and he does. He holds it until the last possible second and then makes a mad dash for the bathroom. That's a very common thing for children, especially boys.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 28, 2011