What do you know about ectopic pregnancy? adult content

I had a pretty rough doctor's appointment today. I am only 4w5d pregnant, which is what I expected because I was sure I had ovulated later than normal. So that was expected.

What I didn't expect was that the spotting I had on Saturday, coupled with my endometriosis history could mean that the pregnancy is ectopic.

I can't wait to switch doctors because I asked her if it was safe to travel this weekend (hubby's uncle died) and she said "let's pretend I have a crystal ball and know it's ectopic" ... how very sensitive of her.

Anyway - I had hcg level tested and go back on Wednesday to repeat. As long as the test shows 66% increase she says it's safe to assume the pregnancy is not ectopic.

What other things could I look for? At what point is an ectopic pregnancy normally discovered?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If the sac was in the tube, it wouldn't even show up on a regular sonogram (the one on your belly) that's how they found my ectopic pregnancy. The normal sonagram didn't show a sac or baby in the uterus so they did a vaginal ultrasound and found the mass in my tube. So, fear not mama.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ectopic means that the baby is growing somewhere out of the uterus. In most cases like the one I had, a mass grows in your fallopian tube. If the baby and sac was seen in your uterus, then your pregnancy is not ectopic.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yeah you're not having an ectopic pregnancy if the baby is in your uterus. Ectopic means outside the uterus, often times the fallopian tube, and the baby can not possibly survive. And if not removed the mother's life can be in danger. Your ultra sound shows a baby in the uterus, so I don't even understand why the dr. is remotely concerned about it being ectopic. Had the ultra sound results shown an ectopic pregnancy the dr.'s course of action should've been to end the pregnancy immediately and remove the fetus because your life could be in danger if the fallopian tube ruptures. I'd be getting a new dr. ASAP
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy that occurs outside the womb (uterus). The baby (fetus) cannot survive, and often does not develop at all in this type of pregnancy.

If she did an ultrasound why couldnt she tell if it was ectopic? Ectopic pregnancies arent inside the uterus so if it was ectopic she would have known.
    Anonymous

• sorry *hugs* i hope everything is ok and it isnt ectopic. I will say a prayer for you and your baby.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:02 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If it was a tubal pregnancy,they would have said so. I don't know why this doctor just doesn't say either way.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If the baby is in the uterus, its not ectopic. I had an ectopic pregnancy and the embryo had implanted in my fallopian tube. They were able to tell right away-I went in because of severe abdominal pain.

I'd switch doctors...its weird that she didn't tell you right away.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 7:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• why didnt she do an ultrasound?
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 6:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She did do an ultrasound. I got to see the baby in it's little sac, and it measured exactly 4weeks and 5 days, which fell right in line with what I expected. If she hadn't said "ectopic" I'd be ecstatic right now, but instead I am panicked.

The ultrasound tech did react to the size (b/c dating by LMP I would be a week further along) but once I explained about my long cycles she said well then you have a cute little baby in there! She didn't seem to think it was positioned weird or anything... but she's not the doctor.

I just keep telling myself to breathe deeply and be patient.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• So... in the ultrasound they would have known that the sac was in the tube? 

So I am panicking for no reason?  I have a pic of the baby sac right here... The sonographer wouldn't have printed it out and stuff if it was stuck in some tube would she?

I am starting to think that this doctor really needed an extra cup of coffee or something today.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Feb. 28, 2011