Do you express yourself better in a foreign language?

My mom was born here. I was born in Europe but came here when I was 4 years old. I do not have an accent but yet express myself better in my foreign tongue. I love american literature and spelling but somehow love to show my emotions in my native tongue. Anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes. I think it's normal because english wasn't your first language. I understand, read,and write english completely. I speak it without even the slightest hint of an accent but I feel there's more liberty in my native language.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 12:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not anymore... I was born and raised in Europe myself, and when I first came here, of course it was easier for me to express myself in my native tongue. But since I've been here for 20 years now, and the vast majority of my day to day interaction is in English, I can express myself better that way. Matter of fact, when it comes to e-mailing and such, my family and friends from over there write in Dutch, and I respond in English. I can still understand and speak it just fine, but writing takes WAY too long, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My in-laws do. The minute they become animated, whether it's a joke, caused by irritation, etc. they revert to spanish. Then I sit and have to ask later what they were talking about :)
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Anyone else?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Mar. 1, 2011