How many?

How many Moms kids, 2 and up do not know how to use a regular cup to drink out of. Still uses a sippy cup?

I guess I am from a different time.  Why not teach your kids how ut drink out of a regular cup?

Asked by louise2 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is 2.5 yrs and drinks from a regular cup. He learned to drink from a straw around 8 months I think. I started with the regular cup when he was a little over a year old.
    littlemama810

Answer by littlemama810 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My 2 yr old still drinks from a sippy but my 4 yr old drinks from a regular cup.
    I have a one yr old also but she is still on a bottle
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• mines three she can drink out of a cup. she still has sippy cups for like when we go away and i take a drink for her in the car
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Either work IMO. If it's not causing orthodontic problems, then I don't see a problem with a sippy. Less mess IMO until the child can get better control of their hands. I don't see anything wrong with experimenting and introducing a cup, but solely being on a cup at 2? No way lol. My DD is no where close to using a cup at 20 months so I have zero plans to give her a regular cup until she gets better.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Back in the day.. We had no choise. My DD's went from bottle at 1year old to cup. Had to help them. But it did not take them ling to learn how to use it alone. I understand using a sippy cup in the car. But not at home.

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• ling=long

Comment by louise2 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My older kids knew how but it was just easier to use a sippy so I wasn't cleaning up messes all day long. Especially when we rented and would lose our deposit if they ruined the carpets. They used sippy cups in the house until the youngest of them figured out how to not spill at 3 or so (they were 4 and 5).
    My youngest dd was not prone to spilling and was regularly using a regular cup at 16 months and only regular cups by 2. She only got a sippy if we were in the car and that stopped at 2 1/2 when I was satisfied she could drink out of a regular bottle of water.
    Why is everything that makes life easier for mom considered "bad" or not needed?
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My DDs learned how to drink out of a regular cup by the age of two without spilling. They are now 6 and 8 yo and always use sippy cups because I let them bring them anywhere in the house (they are only allowed water except at meal times). They use regular cups at the table. They can use regular cups if they want but they have to stay in the kitchen or dining room.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:26 PM on Feb. 28, 2011