Are there any moms with child with g-tubes?

I had my DD on november 1, 2010, she was born on the day i turned 29wks (11wks early) i had severe preeclampsia and my placenta abrupted and they had to do a emergency c-section. she lost a lot of blood and oxygen before that go her out, so the dr had to do cpr and stuff on her when they did get her out. that worked on her for ll mins and was about to give up when she came too. she has a g-tube and she had a nissen fundoplication done. she doesnt have her suck and swallow reflexes and she just got her gag reflexes. she turened 17wks(6wks)old today. she was in the hospital for llwks she came home on her due date. she is doing really well now. she is about 8lbs if not more.

i was wondering if any of yall had to go through this and if yall had babies with g-tube what all can go through the g-tube were yall able to give then baby ceral and oatmeal and stuff through it with the formula. how did yall deal with it

alw06tchs

Asked by alw06tchs at 7:21 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am so sorry mommy!! I don't have a child with a g-tube but I have a 7 yr old brother that has had one from birth. Only liquid can go through it. No baby cereal. The only thing that goes in his tube is peptimin jr (special formula), water, and medicine. If you have any other questions pm me and I can get the answer for you. Take care and I pray it gets easier for you. She may not always need it, but in my brothers case he doesn't eat enough to keep himmself nourished so he still has one...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:36 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• thanks i figure only liquid
    sorry to hear about your brother.

thanks agian she does good with taking it she just has to have it bc she doesnt suck or swallow so until then she has to have it.
    alw06tchs

Comment by alw06tchs (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• For now, it should be only liquids. The only way you can add something is if the doctor instructs you do to otherwise. I used to care for teen ager that had one. She was underweight so the doctor had us add stage 1 baby food in addition to the ensure (that is what she used for nutrition). You could not do bananas and such as it made it too thick. But as I said, you should not do that unless instructed by a doctor. If she is doing well, then there probably won't be any need. In addition, her digestive system might not be ready for it.

Good luck and best wishes with your new little one!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My son had one for a year and a half! We only did Formula though it! But, encourage feeding out of a bottle (if that is a choice for you)! Make sure that you always burp her with the tube! Also if you are using formula make sure it is not recall! We also used peptimin jr and found out that when we were using it that it was recall and no one told us! Good luck!

tripletmom28

Answer by tripletmom28 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• she is on NeoSure bc of her being a preemie. she cant eat through a bottle she is going to speech therapy for us to help her with that. this is why she has to have the g-tube

i was goign to talk to her dr and see what they say i wasnt going to do anything unless the dr says it is ok
    alw06tchs

Comment by alw06tchs (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• tripletmom28.................your little was on a heart monitor too? she is on one also
    alw06tchs

Comment by alw06tchs (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Feb. 28, 2011