Diabetes

Our 10 year old Lab was diagnosed with Diabetes today and will start Insulin this evening. Anyone managing a pet with Diabetes? Hints, suggestions???

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 7:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Nope...we've got epilepsy though.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:39 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• No pet but my husband has it. I had an uncle that also had a lab with diabetes. Good luck
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 7:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My cat Samson was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 or so years ago, I've had to shoot him up with insulin twice a day ever since... Honestly, it was a lot easier than I imagined, but I'm pretty sure every case is different. He doesn't mind the shots at all, he actually comes to remind me when it's time, heh. He's been in perfect health ever since we started (and believe me, he was in BAD shape when he was diagnosed). All we have to do in addition to the shots is bring him in for a check-up every year, where they check his levels.

Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Thanks ladies. Our dog lives with our college-aged son...about 400 miles away. I am in town until we can get Riley stabilized. My son and I went for diabetes teaching today. I am a nurse, so my mind is going full steam ahead- I was shocked that the Insulin is supplied by the regular pharmacy.

Sisteract

Comment by Sisteract (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I had a cat that had diabetes and unfortunately we had to put him to sleep before we knew what it was. We saw the signs in our sons cat and immediately put him on new food. He eats EVO brand cat food. We now feel all our cats grain free food." Before Grain" is what we feed them now. My son took his cat to the vet yesterday and they did blood work. He has no signs of kidney disease,
    Both of the brands I mention also have dog food. Google them to find where it is sold in your area. Your vet might have given you a prescription food for your dog but this is much better. Dogs and cats are carnivores by nature and their bodies can't process all the carbs in regular grocery store pet food. The fewer carbs the better.
    Good Luck
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would start by learning all you can about the condition. I know it is fairly common these days. It could be related to obesity, so you should check your Lab for those signs as well. Good luck, I know it's hard.
    Here is a link with some diabetes info: http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/BreedGuide/HealthConcerns/Diabetes
    familyandfur

Answer by familyandfur at 3:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If you are feeding a food with corn (corn = mostly carbs/sugar), switch to one with NO corn. Corn is mostly used as cheap filler anyway and dogs can't really digest it.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 4:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I addressed diet with the endocrinologist during our consult. At this point, our dog is so thin we have to focus on stopping the depletion. Thanks for the tip about the corn- I'll remember that for the future.

Sisteract

Comment by Sisteract (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Also, higher quality food is more appealing (dogs LOVE meat) and has higher calories (without all the sugar) so you will have to feed less.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I made turkey meatballs and gave her some. Today she is much more energetic. Her BS yesterday AM after eating and before her Insulin dose was 300. It had been 610. We did decide to upper her dose slightly to try and get her BS in the 150-200 range.

Sisteract

Comment by Sisteract (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Mar. 2, 2011