Requesting an ultrasound?

My husband, and everyone else I know, are having doubts about the sex of the baby. It took 3 ultrasound techs to say it was a boy, and even I could not tell what she was trying to say was the boy parts... With my other boys, there was NO question, NO doubt!!! You could tell what was boy parts.

Ok, so here is the question. I am on Medicaid. Will my doctor, and/or insurance cover a requested ultrasound to re determine the anatomy of the baby??

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 7:56 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, i also have medicaid and the only way they will cover an extra ultrasound is if there is a medical reason such as the baby is in distress or the dr. feels there is something wrong and needs to do one.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Your Medicaid wont pay for unnecessary Ultra Sounds, if you want another one that is not medically necessary you will need to pay out of pocket. Honestly as a tax payer, I wouldnt want someone spending my tax money for a a whole bunch of ultra sounds just because YOU didnt see a penis clearly.
    Anonymous

• Have you had a 3D ultrasound done? I don't know if medicaid would pay for that though.
    faeriegirl2009

Answer by faeriegirl2009 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• They did a 3D at the ultrasound to find out the sex. But the baby was in a very awkward position (breech, and hugging the placenta) so the 3D pics didn't come out well.
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• probebly not, unless you doc says you need it. looks like your gonna be buying alot of yellow clothes.... :) anything that could go either way. I wouldnt worry about it too much just start worrying about keeping healthy to have a healthy baby.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yellow, green.....My daughter will be 4 in two weeks and STILL wears a lot of her brother's hand-me-downs.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:22 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My daughters only had boy hand-me-downs-- it wasn't worth the exposure of the ultrasound. (I never did any.)
    I did have Medicaid, too, but haven't wanted any in my pregnancies.

So no, don't think it's worth checking on gender for the first time, much less a recheck.
    Good luck, though!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I dont think so.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:33 AM on Mar. 4, 2011