My 2 month old refuses to go down for naps in his crib. Ideas?

I want to get him in the right habit for napping. I put him down drowsy with a pacifier yet he wakes up soon as he's on his back in the crib. I'm not comfortable with the cry-it-out method at his age.

debbiemn1979

Asked by debbiemn1979 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 2 months I was just happy if they were asleep . Mine tended to nap well in the swing at that age. I wouldn't sweat it. You might try and holding him just a bit longer before putting him down and see if that helps.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:10 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Try his swing or bouncer. Although it's always good to instill good habits and routine from the beginning you can not force an infant to nap where they're not comfortable. He's still super little, letting him nap in a swing, bassinet, bouncer etc. isn't going to ruin his sleeping habits later. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Make sure you are using a consistent routine of getting him to sleep. And you might have to let him fuss a little to get himslef back to sleep. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Bath, diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. Not all of these but what works for you. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping.  If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us.  Ours never liked the pacifier.  And I would try to not use the pacifier, if you can, so that he isn't dependent on it.  GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• The things that worked for me were a small blankie that I wore under my shirt while they were awake and then tucked in bed with them so they had my scent, a "heartbeat" bear or soft music, and 2 of mine took pacis. They liked to be swaddled and might fuss for a minute or two right when I laid them down but it was never long - if they cried hard I would pick them up and rock them for a few more minutes, but I did make sure to always lay them down awake.

Answer by missanc at 8:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Wear the baby in a wrap of sling. At this early age they need to be close to you all the time. Tie baby on and get the chores done.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• With my daughter we would put her in the crib and let her cry for 5 mins and when that didn't work we would lay down with her till she fell asleep then moved her to the crib but we would put her on her stomach and she would sleep fine
    ajk2010

Answer by ajk2010 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2011