Question of breastfeeding moms...

What is the best brand of breat pump? I'm searching now and I'm overwhelmed because there are SOOOOOO MANY!!!! Should I get single or double? I know I want an automatic one but they are pricey so I want to make sure if I invest that type of money in the product, it's a good one.

Dark-N-Prego

Asked by Dark-N-Prego at 8:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hygeia or Ameda

http://www.coolmompicks.com/2011/01/best_breast_pump_youve_never_heard_of.php

http://justwestofcrunchy.com/2011/01/19/the-problems-with-medela/

Medela is the most popular due to their marketing, it is not the best pump. Many think Hygeia and Ameda are better for about the same amount.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Medela is by far the best.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:20 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It depends on what you need it for. Are you a SAHM, who justs wants to be able to go catch a movie alone once in a while? a single, even manual should be sufficient.

Do you work full time outside the home? Invest in a good double electric. Medala is awesome. I loved mine and it wasnt loud at all. You couldnt hear it from behind a closed door.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Medela wasn't loud for me. I loved it.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:23 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• first-for your above comment "if nature allows".. if you meant that "if nature allows you to breastfeed".. there is nothing about nature the first 1-2mo. of establishing good breastfeeding. It is dedication to make it work. It can be hard but it is well worth it times 100! :-) --If u meant if nature allows ur baby to ever come (lol) give it time :) a baby is much more quieter in womb! ;-)

I had a very cheap Medela single pump ($60) that did me fine. but I am a SAHM and only pumped about 1-2 times a week so DD could spend a few hours with family without me. So if your working I would FOR SURE suggest a double pump..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i never had any success at pumping. i would suggest not getting a really expensive one unless you are certain that pumping is going to be worthwhile to you.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I would recommend Avent manual pump. Got 3x more milk than the commercial grade electric we rented from the hospital. But since you said automatic, I haven't a clue. Medela is supposed to be good, but it's pricey.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I just had a cheap manual pump. It worked great for me. Really, I didn't use it a lot.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Madela. no question about it. they are expensive, but worth it. I would look to buy a used one (even though they say not to, I do not think it is gross or unhygenic). Wait until breastfeeding is well established (1-2 months) before you start pumping a lot if you can.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:05 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I love my Lansinoh double electric. It is half the price of the Medela.

You can write it off on your taxes. If you have a health savings. Spending account your insurance might let you pay for it that way. Your insurance may cover it or reimburse you. Call your insurance company first.

Join us in the breast feeding mother's group!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011