What should I do with my cat while I am on vacation?

Tino is a very big boy and I cannot leave food out for him as he will eat it all and make himself vomit. He is prediabetic and cannot over eat nor can he miss a meal. Our landlord (who lives next door) said she would feed him for us but I am afraid she won't come over. I cannot afford to pay somebody more than $5 a day to care for him. AHH. I don't know why I left him out of my plans until now. We are leaving on Friday! This trip is only costing us $600 dollars and saved money for it for months. I totally forgot to save money for the cat. Any unique ideas out there?

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 8:40 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• Telling your landlord to take care of your cat else you'll not pay rent isn't exactly the angle I'd recommend. I'm sure you were kidding, right?

Here's what I would do.
    1) get baggies and write on them the date and time (am/pm) that the food is to be fed. Put the appropriate amount of food in the bag. Put all bags in order in say a shoe box. I can imagine a cat that size is on something like W/D or R/D and is getting about 1/2 C per day? (i hope! lol)

2) In excel, create a checklist. Date, AM/PM (if twice daily feedings) and a column also for water. A checklist is a great way to help people remember.

Let your helper (in this case land lord) know how important it is with a cat with a metabolic disorder to be fed a precise amount and on a schedule. Be sure to leave him/her your vet's info. Be sure to call your vet and let them know who is taking care of your pet, what they are authorized to do, and leave your CCnum.

BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I just had a friend come over to do the feedings. You just have to trust that they'll do it. My cats don't have health issues but they were both fine when we got back.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If you can only afford $5/day, then boarding it out of the question. If you don't have friends or family that you can trust to come over, then I guess your landlord is it. Maybe give her a call every evening and say "did you take care of my cat?"
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• you dont have any friends or family that could take care of him whil you are gone
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My suggestion was going to be see if you can board him at your vet's, but that's likely to be a LOT more than $5/day.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• how long are you going to be gone?
    but anyhow, they have feeders at petsmart that ration out food (dry food) and you just program in when it is supposed to drop the food down and it does. they work really well for greedy guts (yes, i have one too, i know lol). that would be a great solution. i don't think they cost that much....it would probably balance out to the same amout of paying 5bucks a day (but idk how long you'll be gone lol). that way you wouldn't have to give someone a key to your house while you're gone.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I don't have friend or family...they are all 900 miles away. I will try to make an agreement with the landlord...such as...you forget to feed my cat (which I will give her the $5 a day just to fill his bowls) or I won't pay rent. I love my kitty!! She doesn't have reliable phone service so I can't be guaranteed to get in touch with her. I just need to relax and trust in her. We help her all the time...she owes us. We have left a water park to come and bring her gas when she ran out one time.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We will be gone 8 days. I may go to petsmart tomorrow to go check it out. I would rather not go on vacation then to go and worry about my cat. I can spend more (out of savings) if I have to...I like to pretend that money doesn't exist. I don't think he would do well being boarded. Last time we tried that he got so upset he was foaming at the mouth and hyperventilating. Thank you for your answers!! I know they also have those water dispensers. That should give me enough food for the 8 days. Or my landlord could just come over once or twice to fill up the food and water bowls and we would be set!!
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• i just looked at your profile. too bad we are not in the same state/city. i would do it in a heartbeat. i love, love ,love cats. how about co-workers? if you have no other options, you have to trust your land lord. have faith. good luck
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• If you are staying somewhere pet friendly, take him w/ you...or maybe he could stay at the landlady's house
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011