Could she really be starting puberty?

Our daughter is 8 years old so I know she is not too young to start but is it really that? Our daughter has been having mood swings. One day she is happy and everything. The next cries about any and everything. And yet again another day she gets mad about the smallest things. I have noticed that she seems to be slimming up especially in the mid section. As for boobs, it is hard to tell. She is a bit chubby so it is harder to tell but it does look like she is getting a little bigger. I don't see her without a shirt every often so when I saw her the other day it was kinda of a shock.

Could this be puberty? I don't know if I am ready for that. I did look it up online but didn't get a lot of info on it.

palexander

Asked by palexander at 8:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Due to the hormones in conventional meat and dairy, early puberty is not unusual. Internal changes start long before you see any physical changes.

Please be sure that your daughter understands all of the changes going on in her body. You may want to give her a period bag to keep in her back pack: it should have clean underwear, a zipper bag for soiled underwear, and two pads (make sure that she knows how to use them)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Yes she can be. Girls are starting to mature way earlier than they used to. Talk to them and let them know it is OK.
    Faye1234

Answer by Faye1234 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have heard of it hitting that early but it's not as common. Can't say that it's puberty causing everything though.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My DD started her period at 9.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 8:44 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My niece started puberty in 3rd grade. She needed face wash and deoderant. She began having to wear a bra in 3rd grade as well. It was rough for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have heard of girls starting early. I started my period at 10 and by 6th grade had a 20 years old body. An article I read months ago said that research is showing that girls are starting early especially if mom started early.
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I got my period and all that when I was in the 5th grade. I'm now almost 30.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:46 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• chubbier girls start puberty earlier....that is a distinct possibility.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Layh41407, I can imagine. It was rough on me and I started in the 5th grade and in just a few months time has changed so much. I remember getting picked on at sick and everything.
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Princess I don't know about that. I was the skinniest girl in my grade and and I started a year before any other girl. But if that is true then HELP me.
    palexander

Comment by palexander (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 28, 2011