Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A$$ hole landlord!!!

We rent our apartment from DH's childhood friend. We have been here 4 years. He has agreed that we dont have to pay rent until March so we can save for DH to go see his family. He hasnt seen his mom in 8 years because he has been battling immigration.
The heat and AC only works when it wants to. It has been like this since before we moved in. He was suposed to get it fixed, still hasnt :( It wasnt a big deal before because it was just us and we both worked so long, but now we have a 9 month old. It is FREEZING in here and he refuses to get it fixed!!! I dont want my child freezing and getting sick. What can we do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Home & Garden

Answers (7)
  • He said he wont fix it because we arent paying rent right now.... Well, he agreed to us not paying rent until March!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • Well, I guess it depends on how much you value the friendship. If you have a signed lease, or if you know that your state/city has tenant/lease laws that apply here, then you would be within your rights to take action to either terminate the lease or force him to make repairs to the apartment. But then you would likely lose the friendship, not to mention the benefits of having a friendly and loose rental agreement (benefits like not having to pay your rent for several months - no regular landlord would give you that). So if you want to make this arrangement continue to work, perhaps you could agree to split the repair costs with him, or something along those lines. But if you're fed up and you just want a well-cared-for apartment, then maybe it's time to move out and find something more legitimate.

    Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • actually, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. you aren't paying rent for at least 4 more months. I think you either need to get a space heater or ante up the rent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • Unfortunetly you are in a bad situation. The agreement of not paying rent until March, was that a verbal agreement or did you get it in writing? Do you rent this apartment through a lease or was it just a friendly arrangement? The problem with renting is that everything should be in writing and any problems with the apartment, especially pre exsisting problems should be documented and discussed in the rental agreement.

    Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • You say he is a good friend of your husband. When it gets cold move in with the friend. He might get the hint that he needs to fix it. with or without the rent. He already knows he would not be getting rent until March. He also new that the furnace did not work properly. Help him pay for the repai for your portion of rent that you did not pay. Its more important to have a child healthy than going to visit the mothr.

    Answer by Tinkerbell3396 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

  • You aren't paying rent, so pay to fix the heater or go buy some portable heaters. If you were paying rent then I would say "what a jerk" but you get to live there for free, so suck it up and fix it yourself.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

  • Not being a smart ass, but move. He probably knows you guys won't cause a stir #1 he is a long time friend, and #2 He figures if you do he can get you guys in more trouble with immagration!

    Answer by 41andholdin at 11:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.