How long did you know your S/O before getting married?

Just curious. My dad is trying to rush my bf & I into marriage but we've only known each other for a little over a year & want to take it one step at a time esp b/c of the unplanned pregnancy. My dad married my mom within a year of knowing her & their marriage is not the type of marriage I want to have.

I'm not saying the time you know someone affects how well the marriage is though.

Dark-N-Prego

Asked by Dark-N-Prego at 9:27 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• My SO and I have know each other for 14 years been together as a couple for 11 and still are not married. We get hell about it all the time from everyone. We have been engaged for 5 years...LOL. The only real thing I can think that is stopping us is debt. I am so afraid of not knowing what will happen when we take the two of us and put my bad credit with his worse credit together. Both our credit went downhill when he was diagnosed with a serious disease and was no longer able to work. We would be the couple with the worst credit EVER....LOL. Wish we would have got married before the diagnosis and the adoption Sheesh. Waiting is really good but don't put it off for too long that can be a bad thing too.
    LeeLeeMarie

Answer by LeeLeeMarie at 3:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I met my husband in 2001 and didn't engaged until 2004. Got married in 2005 :o) You do it when you are ready!! Rushing into things can be bad.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 9:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We were together 6 years before we got married! Marriage isnt something to rush into for any reason!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Meet my husband Dec 1996. Started dating in April 1997. Got engaged in May 1997. Got married July 1998.

My parents knew each other 6 weeks before getting married....It'll be 47 years this year.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 5 months and we have been married 8 years now.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 9 months! Met in March 99,married Dec 99
    We're great together

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I knew my husband about a year, but part of that I was in another state at university. During our time apart we called and wrote. This was 40 years ago, still happily married.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• a year and a half
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• We've known each for 8 years before getting married the first 6 years we were just friends and the 2 years we were together if that makes sense lol .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My Husband and I knew each other for only about 11 1/2 months, and only 1 1/2 of those months were We actually Together in person. We have been very happily Married for 5 1/2 years, Together for over 6 years, and We are so beautiful and perfect Together! We were made for each other, We are Soulmates. There is no better or happier couple out there! =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011