How can I stop my 2 yr olds from spitting?

My 2 boys always blow rasberries but they are doing it to be mean, like if we tell them "no" or when they are feeling snotty. I have tried time out, hot sauce, slapping their mouth ( not hard so keep your abuse comments to yourself) I want to nip this in the butt

My2boys0523

Asked by My2boys0523 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make the top of the refrigerator "toy jail". Every time your boys do a raspberry or spit, tell them if they do it again a toy wil go into toy jail (and tell them which toy it will be- whatever toy they have been playing with most that day). If they do it again, put the toy into toy jail for a day or two. Remind them that it is up there and why it is in toy jail.
    After you put a toy or two into toy jail, they should ease up on the spitting. At the beginning of each day, remind them that if they spit even one time a toy will be in toy jail. When they go the entire day without spitting, at bed time, talk about how proud them you are that they haven't spit at all during the day and how no toys had to go into toy jail.
    This technique has worked amazingly for us. our son has had so many negative actions corrected by putting his beloved trains, stuffed animals, books, blocks, etc. into toy jail for a couple of days. good luck
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 2 year olds are going to spit. The best way to get rid of it is actually by ignoring it. When you punish, you are actually reinforcing it because they are getting your attention, and in kid world any attention is good attention. This is the same as with the fingers in the mouth gagging thing that kids do. Ignore it.

Please try to stay away from hot sauce and slapping . . . that could get your family in trouble and isn't effective as a punishment . . .

I know that the spitting hits that nerve. Just do everything you can to not give it attention or it will stick around for longer than it has to.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• hello. I have heard of kids doing this at different ages, these are the things that i have been told to stop the spitting

friend/teacher of BD kids- shehad enough of this little boy spitting on her so she took the child out of the class, into the hallway, and had him sit facing the wall. Because of his behaviorial issues she had to hold him in her lap (indian stlye i think) in a 5 point hold and had him spit until he had no more spit to spit. The little boy didnt spit on her anymore.

my aunt had twins who would blow raspberries as she feed them. She was tired of it so she spit back at them. lol they stopped.

So, possible solution, if your kids want to spit, then force them to spit in the sink on the bathtub wall etc until they cant spit anymore. Keep in touch and let me know what happens.

Amy
    parentofadhd

Answer by parentofadhd at 9:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• OMG I love that idea!
    My2boys0523

Comment by My2boys0523 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• You have 2 choices, IGNORE it or have him stand at the garbage can or toilet and have him spit until he can't spit anymore.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• My pediatrition recommended the toy jail to me. I didn't think it would work and was amazed when it did. Hope it helps:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:06 PM on Feb. 28, 2011