Help...young daughter pregnant?? adult content

My niece just told her mom(my sis n law) that she is pregnant last week. They took her to the dr. today and she is already 3 months along. She is only 11 years old!!!!!! Yes, i said 11!!!

I just dont understand how something like this happens. she said she has been having sex with her boyfriend who is 14!!!!

At what age do/will you have the sex talk? What would you do if this was your DD??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I guess I will try to interject information about sex and development to my daughter throughout her life. Although there may be an official "sex talk" when she is around 9 or 10, I hope to instill appropriate actions for young women (ie, no sex until at least 18, with a man she feels comfortable with, etc).
    I hope that my daughter and I have an open enough relationship that I might know when she is getting closer to having sex with someone. She is only one now, so I have no idea what the future holds for us.
    I will be thinking about your niece a lot in the upcoming months. I hope all goes well for her and she is able to handle this very adult situation with love and support from her family. good luck to you all.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:48 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• WOW!!!! I don't even think I'd started my period at 11. I'm so sorry for her parents. This has to be heartbreaking. Did they even know she had a boyfriend? If they did, then they should have been talking with her about safe sex. I would even take it one step further and take her to an OBGYN and get her on birth control. I know it seems extreme at 11, but kids are having sex at such a young age now, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's clear that at 11, she cannot parent a child, nor do I think she is capable of making such a difficult decision about whether to place it up for adoption or not. IMHO, abortion is not an option, but that's just me. If it were my child, I would probably keep the child and raise it as my own. If that was not a viable option, we would place the child up for adoption. I'm a HUGE advocate for adoption. Best of luck to your family.

5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Wow i had no clue
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Ahhh .. .prayers for your sisters family. I can't imagine.

The talk needs to come when the kids start to reach puberty . . which is 10 years old for some.

Oh, if this were my daughter, I would be beside myself. What can be done at this point, though? SHe is really a baby herself and completely unable to be a mommy. She is too far along for options. I know I couldn't push to adopt out, but I would seriously consider talking to my daughter about letting an aunt and an uncle who have been having difficulty conceiving have the baby.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• fourteen is too young. i think it would be better if the schools taught safe sex instead of abstinance
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 9:47 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I'm gonna start talking to both of my kids about sex at the age of 11 i think its a good age but i was thinking about putting my daughter on birth control right when she starts her mentrual cycle so she won't get pregnant till she's ready .Does the parents of the boyfriend know she's pregnant and is he planning on staying with her or at least for the baby's sake how does she feel about being pregnant ?
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• She is upset and they are telling him/his family tomorrow at dinner. She is very emotional right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• It all depends on the child. My son is 15, 16 in July. This year has had the most changes for him, puberity and growth spurt. When girls were hanging in the group (about 4-5yrs ago), I started talking to him about things he could get from other kids by drinking from there glass, what a cold sore was and how he could get it through kissing. His health class would also create questions for him in his mind and tv shows like Friends where people were 'sleeping' together. I always made a joke out of it and we always laughed talking about the birds and bees. Needless to say he will ask me about anything and I am VERY open about the answers. We are very close this way.
    parentofadhd

Answer by parentofadhd at 9:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• Does he know that she's pregnant .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• 11 is too late!!! This is a converstaion that should have started at around 6 and kept on going. It's a little late once the girl is pregnant!!!

And to the PP that said schools should teach safe sex, IT IS NOT THE SCHOOL'S JOB! IT IS THE PARENTS JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 28, 2011