Pagan mamas, I have a couple of questions about some books

First of all, has anyone read Marion Weinsteins books Positive Magic or Earth Magic? What was your opinion?

Also, what is your opinion of the book Circle Round? What ages would you say it's appropriate for? Is it good only for children, or is it something that a whole Pagan family (children, teenagers, adults, etc.) could find useful?

And what about Ted Andrews (the man who wrote Animal Speak)? Do you like his books? I just bought Animal Speak and a book by Lucy Harmer called Shamanic Astrology and so far I love both of them.

Ok, one last question! If you could only keep 3-5 of your Pagan books, which books would you keep?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:08 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I consider Marion Weinstein a "classic". Her magical style is more structured and traditional than mine, but her books are very informative and useful. Even if her style doesn't suit yours, it's worth reading them as part of Pagan history.

Ted Andrews doesn't do much for me. Some of his animal related books were sort of interesting, but the rest don't interest me.

Our whole family loves Circle Round. We've used it with our multi-age Pagan group for quite a few years. It is geared toward kids, but most of the adults in our group also learned a little something from it.

Only 3-5 Pagan books though? Ack! That's a tough decision but I'll try...
    A Witches Bible Complete by Janet and Stewart Farrar because it was one of my first and I'm very fond of it even if it isn't my style,
    Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft, Amber K's True Magick, and a couple of Scott Cunningham books, but I can't decide which ones!
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:03 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• I have Circle Round, the others Ive not heard of.

I enjoy it. It has something for the whole family really but is geared more for kids. There are even stories for girls going into womanhood and rituals they can do as well as some stuff for bringing home a new baby.

There are songs to sing, stories to tell for the sabbats, crafts to do for each of them as well as recipes. So even tho Id say its geared for kids there are things for the entire family to participate in.

Mine is in storage right now but Id definately put it on my keep list. Id also keep my Incense/Oil/Brew book by Cunningham and his Herb Encyclopedia one. I also had Idiots Guide to Wicca/Witchcraft and Id still have it and keep it(had I not lent it to a friend who never returned it). The other book Id keep is my Old Ladies Book of Spells(cant recall the exact name nor author but its a fun book).

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I can not speak enough good about Positive Magic. I consider it a real 201 book within the study of Magic. Combine her book with Bonewit's Real Magic and you have a powerful, sturdy and extremely functional magic system.

Circle Round, I don't own. I didn't see enough uniqueness in it to purchase. Her basic polytheology isn't one that I share. I'm just not a Great Goddess worshipper.

Ted Andrews, I wasn't impressed with his stuff to purchase.

To keep out of them all, A Witch Alone, Positive Magical, Progressive Witchcraft and the Witches Bible. And Paganism - An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions By Joyce & River Higginbotham or any of their books.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 6:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• *its called The Old Girls Book of Spells by Cal Garrison.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 28, 2011