I didn't know the gov had set aside money for GM to build green cars and why does GM deserve this money why not give it to an automaker who is not struggling like Toyota or Honda?

I understand why Pelosi is p*ssed that the Republicans only are agreeing to give GM money that was set aside to make green cars but why give them anything why not give this to an automaker that is doing good. So in fact we would be giving GM like 50 billion dollars to keep running their company right into the grounds, surely this money would be better spent on an automaker doing well wouldn't it?

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 4:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Do the other auto makers even need more money? I think they are operating in the green still. I'm not sure about that, so I'm asking seriously.
    Oh, and isn't GM's green car the Volt or something? It wouldn't even come out until the end of 2010?
    You know where I stand on the bailout though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• perhaps that would be because HONDA AND TOYOTA are JAPANESE companies
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I see where your coming from with your question but keep in mind that GM is an american owned company and the biggest auto manufacturer in the US so if they fail it is a huge hit to the US economy. Toyota and Honda are foriegn manufacturers.
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 5:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• They might be Japenese automakers but they are building cars we buy in the USA and they are employing a lot of American citizens. If GM goes under which if we give them their 25 billion dollar loan and another 25 billion to build green cars and they still run their factories with these money grubbing unions it'll only be a matter of time before they go under completely. I'd rater see someon purchase if possible a portion of Toyota and run it the way it should be ran or pay GM 50 Billion to get rid of every top exec and force the employees to go nonunion or find another place to work. Just my opinion, frickin bailouts are getting ridiculous.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I watched the news last night where the Big 3 were in with congress. They had come in on a private jet. When asked if they would go back commercial, they didn't say they would. When asked if they would take a cut in salary, they said No.(one made 9.7 million last year) These people are not for the workers in the company, they are for themsellves and it showed. If things don't get fixed, it is going under, and not because of the american workforce, its because of the CEO's and their milliion dollar plus a lot more salary. It will not be because of anyone other than the top people of these companies, its not the president, the next president, its the butts at the top of the BIG3.
    Anonymous

• Anon, you forgot the unions. In a way, it is the workers, because they are getting outrageous hourly wages and benefits that the company can't afford. Now YOU get to pay for it, and you don't even have the pleasure of being their boss. Just a nice little gift (or big, whichever way you want to see it).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Maybe You can find what M.Romney said in Today show today.
    I agree with him. Let them all go under. They need to change everything about their managment ,about their money spending. They can start giving up private jets and big spending on things what don't have anything to do to make better cars.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Mitt too (on this issue). They need a COMPLETE SYSTEM RESTORE..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I had this conversation with a friend and it's great for those of us not depending on the automotive industry to say "let them burn" but the reality is that there are families at stake. People live off this industry. What about those "non-management" ppl that pay thier dues to the union in hopes that they'll take care of them. That income is what keeps many ppl a float...how will they do without it . My friend was sayng let them go down, someone will eventually pick up the pieces...sure but how long will that take and what kind of a toll will it make on the average Joe who works for them. So complicated!! On the other hand who will be next? No one is bailing me out!!
    lovelygirlies

Answer by lovelygirlies at 7:34 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• lovelygirlies : I hear ya... BUT what about the middle mgt guys who worked 20 years, set a date to reitre and then find out they are no longer going to have health insurance from the company? Or the Middle Mgt Engineer trying to improve quality, but hitting a HUGE road block because the UNION POLICIES forbid streamlining things because that reduces union manpower. SO the company HAS to pay the salary of a union guy they in all practical purposes doesn't NEED to be there, but is because of Union policies.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2008