Am I spoiling him???

My newborn is 8 whole days old!! And he hasn't really slept in his own bed.... during the day when he naps I have him in my arms. And at night I can't stand it and I have to hold him as well. My husband is the same way. I just put him in his cradle cuz he was asleep after nursing and I had to go to the bathroom. I came back to find them cuddling on the couch.... I just remember wanting to be held so bad by my parents and them not wanting to or not having time. Do you think this will have a bad outcome??

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 4:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You cannot spoil a baby! Hold him as much as you like. Before you know it he will be pushing you away :-) It is GOOD for babies to be held all the time and to not sleep alone!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Gosh no! They only stay little for a little while. Enjoy it while you can! However, I would not start the sleeping with him thing...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:59 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Personally I don't believe in spoiling newborns! But I would say at some point soon you will need to start putting him down at night as you and your husband may burn out. And yes it's too early for a routine but you should still at least start one just at night!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 5:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i dont think its possible to spoil a newborn. i did that with my DD too but now she wont sleep unless she is in my bed with me! which stinks because she kicks me but in all honesty i wouldnt have it any other way because i know she is only that little for a short time so i suck in all of her as much as i can!
    Anonymous

• Snuggle that baby as much as you can. I did that with my daughter though and now she wants to be held a lot. I don't know if it has anything to do with holding her a lot earlier, but I look at it this way. When they get older they won't want there mom all hugging them so do it when you can and ENJOY IT!!!!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• First of all Congrats on the baby boy!! Okay, my son slept with me until he was 2 and 1/2 months old (because that is when he started rolling over) The reason for this is because his father was deployed and I decided that I just wanted him near me all the time. But once he started rolling over it made me nervous and I started putting him in his crib and he transitioned very nicely the very first night. I had no problems. I think that you should do what is right for you!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 5:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Again, Hold your baby.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I don't think you can spoil them that young. I had my son sleep in bed with me until he was about 5 months and trust me it was a pain getting him to sleep in his new crib we got him. I loved sleeping in bed with him but I didn't want him getting used to it, obviously too late for that. Also, he started kicking and hogging the bed which was already getting full with my husband in it too. He was already starting to crawl so that scared me. I wouldn't suggest for doing it for that long maybe up til two months. It's your choice though.
    Anonymous

• My little guy is 6 months old and well I like snuggling with him so does the hubby, although he has been referred to as the little feeder fish by him before.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• First off let me tell you CONGRATS! You are not spoiling him you are loving him,my lil alexis is 2 months and she sleeps with me and she will till she kicks me out! LOL enjoy your new lil one they are not liltle for long,dont let anyone tell you your baby is spoiled babys are not spoiled they are loved
    niki304

Answer by niki304 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 20, 2008