Any yorkie owners out there?

So i'm debating on getting a puppy.. i do have other dogs but and have been raised with all types of dogs but ive never had a yorkie..was just wondering if anyone out there has yorkies if you could tell me alittle bit about them. i also do have 2 kids.

kdm077

Asked by kdm077 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Pets

• My grandparents have a yorkie and she seems like a really sweet dog. She isn't around kids a whole lot and when she is she does very well! They do need to be kept up on their grooming though, as they are long haired dogs, so that may factor into what you want. Honestly, dogs are great, as I am sure you know having been raised with them, it is all about the training. I think you can train just about any dog to be good with kids and such, it is the maintnance I am more concerned about :P
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 11:55 PM on Feb. 28, 2011

• I have a Chi/Yorkie Mix- She is my Shadow! LOL! She is honestly the Best Dog- They do have their Little Ways about them though; they really stick with one person & get Jealous easy- they prefer to be the only animal but, they do o.k. with others- mine does not like Little Kids but, she is not around them very often- i would do some research on them & i would also check your shelter; they might have exactly what you are looking for- Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My brother has had 3. They tend to become very attached to one person and can get jealous easily, but they are very cute dogs.

Just be sure you can verify their health before getting one. They can have lots of issues due to their small size. One of my brother's dogs had an esophagus the same size of its stomach, so it had all sorts of problems throwing up, needing a very costly surgery. Another one of his could not be potty trained.

Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:05 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• well there is a guarentee on health and the puppies are born around other animals and kids so they are used to that.
    kdm077

Comment by kdm077 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yorkies are very difficult to housetrain...as a breed (there are always exceptions.) They are extremely sensitive and emotional. No dog can give a cold shoulder longer or faster than a yorkie. They have good memories. They are sensitive, manipulative, and often very affectionate and loyal to one family member. Many of them are very vocal. They require weekly grooming and some yorkies do seem to have an odor to their coat.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my neighbor has a yorkie & she is having problems w/it going potty outside...it goes in the house & her house smells now..The dog also is very close to her & growls when we go over & visit w/her..It's a cute small dog for a housedog though
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well I have an 8 month old YT and we got her at 8 weeks old. They do require grooming ie: sanitary trims and you have to keep up with the regular grooming too. They are prone to tracheal problems such as tracheal collapse, lp and tracheal irritation. It is best not to use collars on them and I do not. We use a harness. They do require attention, some say more than other fur butts. All in all, they are wonderful companions. BTW research that I have found says not good around small children. Minnie has been raised around my 3yr old under supervision and my son is almost 7. She is great with my kids.
    Stephanie2107

Answer by Stephanie2107 at 10:21 AM on May. 7, 2011