How much $ is too much?

To spend on a birthday party for a young child?

NickLukeandEmma

Asked by NickLukeandEmma at 11:59 PM on Feb. 28, 2011 in Entertainment

• This year my little guy is getting a big party (meaning he can have it at a place other than home, lots of friends) because he's going to be 5, officially a "big kid". I expect to spend around $300.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think $250 is reasonable. I think it would depend on what kind of party I had, but probably around $200 for everything would be good. And I agree with you, these huge bday parties are crazy! And not just for a 4 year old, that Super Sweet 16 show is rediculous! To me, it just shows how much people don't appretiate what they have. They just blow all that money on a single birthday party, kind of sickening.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 12:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would say $200 would be a limit for me that is including gifts, party supplies, ext....
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't do parties. I get a cake and spend no more than $20 per kid. I don't want them growing up expecting more. I spoil them at Christmas time.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• All I can afford is about one or 2 gifts and a cake for my DD.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Over $100 excluding presents. To me at least.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:04 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We have been doing Chuck E Cheese parties for the kids lately. They love it and I don't have to clean up anything after the party. For the party there with food, drinks, tokens with 8 kids it runs about $120. I think between presents and the party it will end up being around $250.

What gets me are the people dropping $5 and $10 grand on parties for a 4 year old.
    NickLukeandEmma

Comment by NickLukeandEmma (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm with CABlonde, over $100.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I always stick to parties at home and still end up spending about $150 excluding presents.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't think $300 is a lot. Especially if you are doing somewhere other than your home. My son wanted to do his birthday this year, he will be 7, at a laser tag place. It would have been around $700 for the kids he wanted there to play two rounds of laser tag, have pizza, etc. I told him no. That is a bit much for me.
    NickLukeandEmma

Comment by NickLukeandEmma (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2011