Naming your child after your best friend?

A nice thing to do, or not appropriate?
Maybe weird in an almost stalkerish sort of way?

It hasn't worked out in my family...an old friend named her 2nd daughter after me, and shortly after that, we went our separate ways. My hubby was named after his dad's best friend...who, turns out, was sleeping with DH's mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Baby Names

• I personally would not. If anything ever happened, the child's name would always be linked to the situation that occurred.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I named my daughter after my best friend kind of.
    She has the same middle name. My bf was really happy and honored that dh was given the same middle name.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was named after my mom's best friend. She died about a year later from cirrhosis of the liver. I don't think the result would be any different if I had not been named after her.

I think it is a lovely thing to honor your friend that way.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't suggest it! My bff begged me to use her name, she became very insulted when I didn't and then a few yrs later she totally betrayed me. I can't even stand hearing her name now because of the hurt she caused me, so I thank god that I didn't name my daughter after her.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 3:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't. Friends come and go so quickly, I have learned that the hard way.

I wouldn't even name my child after a living family member because of the chances of things going South, I don't want my child to be named after someone I now despise.

My next child will be named after my mother in-law, father in-law and grandpa who are all deceased. They all hold special meaning to my husband and I.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 6:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't do it....I think sometimes those names should be reserved for family too....if she decided to have a child, or adopt one that she'd be able to name, she may want to use her own name....there's a lot of other reasons too, ones that have already been mentioned....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't do it. Friendships can change. Family is forever.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't think the honor should be reserved for family only. Many people have friends that are closer than their family would ever be. I think anyone can be a namesake for your child if you want them to be.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:12 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• it doesnt matter as long as you like it
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i'd do the middle name but never the first name. like one of my favorite girl names is Colbie Renee (after my bff). in my opinion a middle name is more honorable. And it may be weird if you hang out with that friend and your child and you're calling the same name.
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2011