They phoned my work!!!!!!

i am having some financial difficulties at the moment..well..over the past few months, i have fallen waay behind on totally not paying 2 of my credit cards...lke not even the min. monthly payments...nothing! i've spoken with them manytimes and told them my situation..they have postponed for as long as they could..(postponed making it go to a collections agency) which i was so thankfull for...well..today i get a latter in the mail saying its finally gone to the collections agency, blah blah blah..so i had planned on calling them tomorrow to see "what now!!" and then when i walked into work today...3 different managers came up to me saying theres a note for me..i looked at the note..it was from the collections agency! i recognized the name from the letter i received earlier today! they havent even TRIED calling me at home, or on my cell..BUT THEY CALL MY WORK?!?!?! omg i am soo pissed!! do they even have the right to do that???? so now when i phone tomorrow..im gonna WANT to yell at them...but i cant..because i need to be nice to them so they can help me...but seriously..are they allowed to phone my workplace???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am not sure what the laws are but if they have the number listed in your information then I think they can. They are trying to collect on an account you haven't been paying on. Sometimes the only place they can find someone is at work. Sorry.
    NickLukeandEmma

Answer by NickLukeandEmma at 12:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Are you sure that's not the only number they have on you? You know when you fill out those applications you only put the one number. Maybe they don't have your cell or house number. Illegal or not, it was a real low ball move calling your work. Some bill collectors can be some of the lowest forms.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Good question I was wondering the same thing I also wanted to know when do the calls become harassment? I have tried to work with them and be polite but they call at least 20 plus times It sucks to be in this predicament

ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 12:28 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• To answer your question, no they can not contact you at your workplace. The tricky part comes where do you report them for breaking the law, and I have no idea. But that's harassment, and it is illegal, even if you owe $100,000. My dad just recently filed bankruptcy and the creditors were calling his place of work. His lawyer was the one to put a stop to it. But it's completely and 100% illegal. They can call your home and cell as much as they want, but the workplace is off limits.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This happened to one of the girls I was working with. They would call our store every single day. It was a recording of some sort and didn't give us any information, just that they were trying to contact her. I believe if they have any number that you had previously provided them they can contact you, whether it is a work number or not. Sorry hun! Good luck!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Most collection agencies try to do things that may be legally..."illegal." I knew of a company that would threaten and call daily. I know with military, financial situations go up the chain of command so it CAN get taken care of. I don't know if it's a FIRST tactic to call the work instead of calling your home, but I guess they will see what they can do without having constant harassment issues. If they contact your work...it'll get either automatically taken care of through your paychecks or your supervisor will make sure he/she's on your butt till it gets taken care of...since it takes time out from your actual work to tend to. Sorry it's happening to you. Don't know if they can REALLY do it, but I know things like that have been done before. G'luck with your issue.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I thought you had to tell them not to call you again before it became illegal, but maybe that is at home.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think they can pretty much do what they want, unfortunately. Working in an office, we used to get tons of them a day for our employees. When it comes to collection practices, not every company follows the rules, LOL! Anyway, I think they only thing you can do at this point is to be blunt honest with them about how you intend to pay them back. Straight out tell them, you will pay, but with no more calls. Also, check with them to see if they are willing to settle on a partial pay back. Tons of companies are actually doing that, knocking off interest, etc. I had two totally over $900.00 several years ago, and they totally settled on just under $500.00 for all! I cut them a check over the phone! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The 1977 Fair Debt Collection Practices says (paraphrasing) that you can send the creditor a letter asking them to stop contacting you at work- but until you send the letter them calling you at work is totally 100% legal. Now how often they call you, when the call you, and the words they use could be illegal- but the general act of contacting you at work is legal until you send that letter asking them not to contact you at work.

Look up your state law to see what they can and cannot legally do. if they are harassing them you could have a case against them.
    Sorry you are going through this. Keep in mind that your first responsibility is to keep food on the table, utilities, on and a roof over your head. The debt can wait until you get back on your feet. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Way back when I worked in an office and sent people to collections we put all the contact numbers we had for the person on the collection forms. I imagine they find it easier to reach people at work, as at home people can 'ignore' phone calls or screen them with caller id. When you contact them you could mention that you prefer to not get calls at work.
    Anonymous