Why do you think it is we "spring clean"? Why not "winter cleaning"?

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 12:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• For me, I am always super busy in the winter/ Holiday season! So that's my reasoning behind it lol :)
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• More stuff keeps the walls/floors insulated lol. Easier to stay warm if things can be there in case of fire. Spring cleaning because kids are usually back in school and out of the way so things can be separated and cleaned out. Plus, you can air things out with the windows open in the spring.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't know. I would love to avoid it all together if I could. My mother teases the only time I really clean is when my brother is coming from a visit from CA. That is about every other year. I do clean more often then that.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 12:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I winter clean. I do a big clean up/out right before New Years. My Granny used to do the same thing. Old dirt goes out with the old year. New year, clean start.

In some cultures it's customary to do a big clean out right before Lent or during the first week. This is usually April(ish) so maybe "spring cleaning" came from that?
    At least I'm pretty sure...don't quote me on that. Lol!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Spring is a time of new beginnings and rejuvenation, a perfect time to clean out and freshen up. Also, our homes have been closed up all winter against the cold, so when we clean in the springtime, it's a great time to air out by opening windows and such. Springtime is garage sale season as well, so as you're spring cleaning and putting stuff into get-rid-of piles, it's the perfect time to plan that yard sale.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Spring is a time of rebirth.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think with the spring light you see more of the dust and dirt that needs to be cleaned ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:38 PM on Mar. 2, 2011