12 weeks but no baby in ultrasound?

I was wondering if anyone here has been in a situation like mine before? My last period was 12/6/10 and today is 2/28/11 which would make me exactly 12 weeks. I have had no bleeding or cramping. But i got my first ultra-sound today and the women said they found no sign of pregnancy, and couldnt tell me anything because she was not my doctor. i have had 5 positive pregnancy tests, three hpt, one at a clinic, and one at the doctors. when i went to the doctors they told me my womb/uteurus felt like it was 11-12 weeks. and they also could not find a heartbeat. They lady that gave me the ultrasound said it might be earlier then they expectex and would not be able to find anything yet. but that wouldnt make sense cause you usually see it about 5 weeks. And i found out two weeks ago. so that means a week after conception i would have gotten a positive test result. but that still would make no sense because i was on birth control for about a month and a half so i would be atlest 2 months. But there still was no baby on ultrasound? anyone have any clue on whats going on?

Mrs.Dani

Asked by Mrs.Dani at 12:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm only being honest, and I hope this isn't the case for you. But my last miscarriage was this same story. My placenta formed and the sac, but there was never a fetus. It was empty. My dr. said it happens more then we'd like to admit, and I should've been 12 weeks. But they couldn't find a heart beat, so they did an ultra sound, and there was nothing there. Just a swollen uterus and an empty sac. The next day I had to have a D&C to remove the placenta. I'll send prayers your way, but that's my story with this situation :(
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Blighted Ovum or empty placenta is what it sounds like. If you're uterus was growing without the fetus. My sister had that happen. Several positive tests, but nothing once the ultrasound or heartbeat came around. Fluke of nature sort of thing. No history of that in either sides of the family and it was their first. It just happens. They had to do the DnC with her afterwards and that's when she started feeling the miscarriage stuff going on. No reason for it...it just happens to some people. -Hugs- Things will get better.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It does sound like a miscarriage, I am deeply sorry to say. There should definitely be a heartbeat at this point and a baby in the ultrasound.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not sure hun. Good Luck
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• well guys thamks for all the help. i found out that i did have a blighted ovum. And on wednesday the doctor gave me some pills to cause a miscarriage. i just wanted to let you guys all know what happened. thanks for all the support <3
    -Dani
    Mrs.Dani

Comment by Mrs.Dani (original poster) at 12:21 AM on Mar. 5, 2011