Toddler Obsessed with Crying or Sad Characters

My 22mo daughter is a very loving and empathetic child. I wouldn't want it any other way! However, whenever we read a book where a character cries or is sad, she gets obsessed with that page & that character. She will hug & kiss the book/character, and keep turning back to the page. She gets angry if we try to move forward with the book/story. She often then misses the happy ending, which is usually the point of the story.

Does this seem pretty normal, or do we need to talk to our pediatrician?

Bookwormy

Asked by Bookwormy at 5:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is the same way. It's normal. Try to keep in mind that at this age, the point of a story isn't to reach the end and find out what hapens, it's to see and learn whatever she wants. It's hard to do, I know. But just let her go back to that page. While looking at it, ask her questions that work on story comprehension and memory - why is he so sad, what could this other character do to make him happy again, even what would you do if you were sad like that. Then you can say, let's turn the page and see if your guess is right. If she let's you, great. If not, set a time limit in your mind, close the book when time's up, and quickly sum up the end - "pooh got out of rabbit's hole and had a nice pot full of honey."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Do you hug kiss and cuddle her when she's crying or upset? Maybe she's just emulating you. I wouldn' worry.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 5:16 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• my daughter does the same thing, i tell her the hugs and kisses are making him feel better, and then find a later page where the character is very happy. one of the worse ones is where jack fell down and broke his crown, you can all but see her little heart break for him...its so sad/sweet!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 12:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2008