Do u think bein overweight affects ur chances of gettin prego???

rit

Asked by rit at 1:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes, it's not an opinion it's a medical fact. Ask any doctor or read any medical book. Yes, you can be overweight and still conceive, but it takes a lot longer usually and sometimes it is impossible. Furthermore, being overweight to begin with in pregnancy can have a very negative impact on the mother and baby's health.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not only does it affect your chances of becoming pregnant, it affects the safety of your pregnancy. The more overweight you are, the higher your chances of developing gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and other pregnancy problems. Being overweight also comes along with higher chances of preterm labor, csection, and having a baby that is overweight or has blood sugar problems at birth.
    But that's if you are 50-100+lbs overweight - not, say, 20 or 30.
    Losing as little as 10% of your body weight can help tremendously. So if you weigh 230lbs, losing just 23lbs will greatly increase your chances of becoming pregnant and maintaining a safe, healthy pregnancy.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I am overweight, or at least I was when I got prego, like 80 lbs over my normal weight. It also depends if u r healthy even if u r overweight. I constantly amazed my doctor when I came in for check up and stuff. My blood pressure was excellent, actually it was a little lower but not enough to get him concerned. Just remember to walk as long as u can, don't eat alot of junk, although towards my 3rd trimester, all I was craving was Chinese food. I thought for sure my baby would come out looking have oriental!! My blood sugar was fine. The only concern my OB had was the fact I had a "Leep" procedure when I had my yearly pap, and they found pre-cancerous cells in my cervix. So he thought my cervix was thinner then he was comfortable with, so I got an ultra-sound 2x a month. I basically I watched my baby grow up!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It can for some but many woman do get pregnant while being overweight...

Because I had a baby last year and I also have Endometriosis and PCOS and my weight was at 240 (because of medication prescribed for both) and I am 5'4 when I found out I was pregnant and I didn't gain a crazy amount of weight, just 28lbs and had a very healthy 8.5lb baby. I also lost 35lbs within two weeks of having the baby. Not only did I get pregnant while being over 100lbs over weight but I was 38 years of age and in the high risk category. My pregnancy was just like my first two 18 and 16 years ago when I was normal weight, pretty normal. I even had a 10 and 8.5lb baby back then. I also didn't/don't have high blood pressure or diabetes...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don`t think so.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It can cause problems for some, because some are overweight because their metabolism and hormones are out of whack, they have PCOS, Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes....these things CAN make it difficult to get pregnant. But there are those who are overwight but don't have any of these health issues.

I've been pregnant 4 times, 2 miscarriages and 2 pregnancies ending in healthy children and I've been overweight or obese since I was 7. But my second miscarriage was due to undiagnosed out of control diabetes. Once I lost 50 pounds and stabilized my bg levels I got pregnant very quickly and well I took better care of myself when pregnant and weighed less at 9 months than when I became pregnant with both my pregnancies
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think it might have something to do with it, yes.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• yes
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 9:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Not for everyone but it CAN and DOES for some.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:32 PM on Mar. 7, 2011