Frustrated.

I am extremely frustrated at the moment.

I have made some lifestyle changes recently because I want to be in better shape and lose some weight.

So I've been eating healthier(a LOT healthier), drinking my 8 cups of water a day and exercising every single day.
In two weeks...I have GAINED 8 pounds.

What the hell?
There's no way that can all be water retention or muscle that's gone on. I've been doing mainly cardio and I have cut waaaaay back on my salt intake.

It's really discouraging.
Help me out ladies. What do I do?
I need to start seeing some kind of results whether it be in physical appearance or on the scales, soon or I'll lose motivation.
It's my vicious cycle.

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 2:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Sometimes it takes awhile.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well Slim Fast has quite a bit of sugar, carbs and calories. Corn is a high carb that swells in the stomach when it com into contact with any water, oilive oil is healthy fat but if you are going to use it-use it very sparingly, make sure that whole wheat tortilla is low carb, I would eliminate the mayo and use mustard, the p.b needs to be very sparingly too and low fat, spinach is awesome, but how much fat is in the salad, fat free creamer is ok but fat free usually meas higher calories or salt/sugar to compensate. I suggest counting calories everyday and not adding salt, sugar or fat to anything. Eat low fat, low carb, low sugar and low salt. Those are the main things. I would try oatmeal for breakfast with a peice of fruit. Salad for luch with another peice of fruit and grilled chicken for dinner with veggie sides. Add all the calories and read the label on everything. Sugar should be 5 or less grams a serving.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't pay attention to the scale..pay attention to the inches! That's what I've heard, anyway. I haven't lost any weight since that first 10lbs but I have lost inches and a whole pant size! That makes me happier than seeing my weight drop!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i have heard a lot of people complain about that. it could be your muscles getting bulkier therefore you weigh a bit more. i cannot think of any other explanation.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Tell me what you're eating. I can usually spot the problem.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have slim fast shakes for both breakfast and lunch. For supper I have grilled chicken breast with garlic and a splash of lemon juice, red and yellow peppers, white onions and occasionally corn sauteed in a little extra virgin olive oil and put together in a whole wheat tortilla with maybe a tablespoon(at the most) or low fat mayo.

For a snack I'll have apple slices with peanut butter or spinach salad.

I generally eat the same thing every day when I find something I like. I am a creature of habit.

I also occasionally have coffee but I only have one cup a day(if any) and I use fat free creamer instead of milk.
    Laila-May

Comment by Laila-May (original poster) at 2:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Your metabolism may be messed up. The best way to level it out is: Eat a good breakfast. Slim fast is not a good choice only because it is not something you want to keep with for the rest of your life. You need variety in your diet. Eat three meals a day including very light snacks which you are doing. Sleep at least 7 hours a night (Its proven to hurt your metabolism if you do not get enough sleep). Also with your exercise routine....your body quickly adapts if you are doing the same thing over and over. I suggest at least 3 days of the week to do strength training. You want to gain muscle because that will burn more calories even at rest. Make sure you take a day off to rest your muscles when you do train them. You also may over exercising. For cardio you want at least 30 minutes where talking becomes difficult. As for eating: I agree with Sweetloveofmine. You cant go wrong with veggies and salad. Just be ...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• careful what you are adding to it. Its the dressing, butter, croutons, bacon, cheese that hurt the good for you stuff. Some suggestions for breakfast that are great: oatmeal with cinnamon and a handful of berries, cereal with whole grains and skim milk, piece of fruit like an apple, pear, orange. An egg with veggies and a slice of whole wheat toast. It really is calories in and calories you burn that will make you lose weight. Find out how many calories you need to lose weight. You can google the calculator to find out the number. And then be very careful to eat that many calories!!! If you do not eat enough your body goes into starvation mode thus messing up your metabolism. The water is great, keep it up! Try squats, lunges, dead lifts, calf raises, arms with weights! 8 - 12 reps three times each with 5 lbs weights is a good start! Keep it up, you can do it!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011