When did you first put your child on the bus to send them to schoo? Without you there.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest rode the bus in kindergarten and 1st grade every day but I was required to be there to drop her off and pick her up (because of her age). Then we moved and they walked to school. We've moved again and they now ride the bus. They are in 5th, 3rd and 2nd grades. I waited the first morning (new school and all that) but haven't been out there since. Next year my youngest dd starts kindergarten and I have no intention of waiting out there with them (I'll still have a 1yo at home). She can wait with her older brother and sister (then in 3rd and 4th grades, the oldest will be in 6th at a different school so different bus). All the kids around here walk to and from the bus on their own and my older kids were walking themselves to school last year (in Chicago) on their own for most of the year when they were 7, 8 and 9.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:34 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my son started to ride the bus in pre-k at age 4. he loves it.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My 4th and 5th graders rode together last year, so they were 8 and 9. I'm not sure I would have put one on the bus without the other, but together I knew they were fine. The bus stop was right in front of my house so I could watch them out the window. This year it's at the end of the road, but still close to the house and my husband usually waits with them before he leaves for work.

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We live in the country & our school is about a 20minute drive from here so she went on the 2nd day of school when she started kindergarten
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I put my son on the bus for the first time by himself when he was in 1st grade! It took everything for me to stay at home while he walked to the bus stop!!!! :D <3
    TupperMonkey

Answer by TupperMonkey at 12:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• In the mornings i won't let them go up by their selves at all. we are in the country it is very dark and we have had foxes run by our feet surprisingly. plus cars speed by and the kids may go out in the road, it just is not safe in the am plus they have to cross road to get on the bus. in the afternoon they come the other way and get dropped off right at the driveway so i let them walk down by themselves unless it is pouring down. but i watch them out the window or i go outside to watch. if i were in town and the bus stop was like right in front i would keep them in until i see the bus.

WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011