Do you feel your 5 year old is ready for K?

Why do you feel that way?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think my son is ready next year, he is going to pre-k now and is doing very well. He is learning a lot, gets along great with others, he tries to do most things for himself. He will be 6 soon after school starts next year, I think he is ready and will do great!
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think each child is different. My oldest had to do pre-k before K. My twin just went into K and did well.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My daughter just turned 5 in Jan. I am going to wait until she is 6 to start her in school. I think her maturity level will be much better equipped by then. Kids grow up too quick anyway. What's wrong with keeping them at home for another year?
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 10:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My ds is 5 and in all day k,he is doing great. Though, where I live Kindergarten is still kindergarten, not a stressed out version most of the states have thanks to the NKLBA.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• -No child left behind act- sorry, got the initials wrong lol. I havnt had my tea yet, lol
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You'll find what constitutes ready is going to vary with each school district's idea of kindergarten. Like Minimo77, our district still has good old fashioned kindergarten - we go half-day, learn to identify letters & letter sounds, basic math concepts. It's primarily hands-on learning with a healthy mix of worksheets/seat work. It's very different from some other programs.

Readiness meant:
    - attend to their own physical needs: getting coat/gloves/hat on, using the bathroom, cleaning their hands, etc.
    - follow 3-step directions without repeated prompting (this is listed on our district readiness worksheet)
    - no separation anxiety
    - could manage peer-to-peer disagreements within age appropriate parameters
    - was comfortable taking direction from adults outside the family
    - ability to articulate their needs and questions
    - could count to 10, identify basic shapes and colors
    - ability to handle disappointments without meltdown
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:50 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• fwiw - my oldest had turned 5 on June 30th and started school that September. He was MORE than ready. Academically he was already ahead. Socially he met expected milestones for school readiness and he got along well with peers his age and older. He's now in 3rd grade and thriving. I don't regret for a moment the choice to send him when we did. It was right for him.

My DD started kindergarten last year on Sept 3rd. She turned five that same year on Sept 12th. She too was ahead academically and was hitting expected social and emotional milestones expected for kindergarten readiness. She's in 1st grade this year - pulled out once a week for a 2nd grade enrichment program and gets along socially with peers her age - as well as kids younger and older. She's at or exceeding all targets both academically and regarding social and emotional maturity. Holding her back would have been a detriment. Not so for all, but for her.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my dd had 2 yrs of preschool & she was ready for K
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My DD is turning 5 next month & yes I feel she is ready for kindergarten, she is in pre-k right now and is doing very well.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:11 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think my almost 5yo (she'll be 5 in April) was ready for kindergarten this school year. That list up there that someone posted...she could do all that at 4. She could actually count to 30 or 40, knew all her letters (upper and lower) could write her full name (first, middle, last) and the first names of her siblings, could follow directions, color in the lines, pay attention in school, has been dressing herself fully without help since she was 3, etc. She went to preschool at 3 1/2-4 years old and her teachers didn't realize she was only turning 4 that year. They thought she was getting ready to graduate to kindergarten and said she was fully ready to go in the fall but the district here only has early entry if their birthday falls before the end of the year so she didn't qualify. She's not in preschool this year but she's ready to go and I think she'll have a ton of fun in the fall when she starts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011