What is the biggest problem you have had this school year, with your kids school?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• They have some sort of "mandated" thing at school that the kids have to go outside for recess everyday(this is kindergarden) unless the temp is like 90 degress. Doesn't matter how cold it is either apparently. Well ds has very fair skin. He was sunburned all throughout August and September and some in October. Teachers didn't want to bother with sunscreen and their recess time was at different times of the day-no way for me to show up and do it. During the cold months they were making thse kids go outside and thanks to that ds has had 5 or 6 illnesses( I forget how many, some ran back-to-back). They're so dang worried about American kids being fat and hav to keep the recess in bad weather. That's what they claim in so many words. My child is nowhere near fat and what's wrong with playing in the gym??? It makes me mad because I know fitness is not the reason for it. That's obvious when the cafeteria's menus cont
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• we don't have any problems with school, I have a schedule anxiety issue, being that the things to get the morning going like breakfast , who wants to eat or doesn't, how well they get up, and how early. The school can do some things to help as for just regular teaching, so our school does excellent, and it's doing better each year in my humble opinion.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• never here with going outside but it's good that they are focused in the real agenda and routine of the day. Later in middle school they will better be able to pick some activity that is more personal to them. really structure is good, and events are after school hrs, so it's a relief for the students to have something later.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No problems. I love their school. It's our first year here and they are in 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades. It's a public school and so different than the Catholic school they went to the last 3 years. This school is so much better and they were so far behind after the Catholic school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• is fried chicken nuggets and french fries. I send ds to school everyday with a homemade lunch that is balanced and healthy. I do my job to keep him healthy. Prior to him starting school he had one cold a year, if that. There was also an incident where ds was injured(purposely) by an older girl at recess. Ds told his teacher and NO ONE called me to tell me. They sent ds home in bandages without any explanation. His teacher gives him a really hard time even though ds EXCELS at every subject. I'm on edge right now with them. I send ds to school and expect him to be well taken care of and it doesn't happen. I'm seriousy considering home schooling for next year.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• sweetloveofmine, have you looked into other local schools to change him over. I think the getting hurt that bad and not being told would of been a topper for me as well. I know my son's preschool will take them outside unless its snowing, but even in rain they do have a covered area for that day. I pack hats and golves with him. And on hot days I put on sunscreen (he is only there for a few hours so it will last) I would be very worried they don't take these steps when they have the kids for 6-8 hours a day.

whoreallycares

Comment by whoreallycares (original poster) at 4:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We haven't had any problems with the school or teachers this year. In fact our last parent/teacher conference the teacher couldn't say enough good things about son. He EXCELS in every subject and is ahead of alot of the other students also. He is doing well in all subjects and loves everything. The one thing he does need to work on she said is his writing--like when he is writing a story he needs to go into more detail but other then that he is doing great.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not a thing! We started online schooling this year with Ohio Connections Academy and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
    DSNMomma

Answer by DSNMomma at 7:50 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• school linch..it seems like they serve everything the same over & over again...bullying on the school bus...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011