I have hit my plateau!

I have gotten to 133 and can't seem to break through! I was losing about a lb. a week now I have been at 133 for 2 weeks now! I can't seem to break this, I added extra excercies but still nothing! Any advice?

ILoveCade

Asked by ILoveCade at 3:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You are eating too FEW calories... you need to figure out your BMR- your basal metabolic rate or starvation mode number. This is how many calories you burn just breathing..for example, I am 5'1", 110 lbs and 35 and my BMR is 1255..I burn that just breathing everyday.
    Weight loss is all about burning more than you consume, but you have to eat enough...1000 calories is NOT enough for anyone.
    If you PM me with your age, height , weight and exercise schedule I can do your BMR for you and help you get through this plateau.
    I lost 57 lbs in 9 months by eating right, working out 6 days a week, weighing my food out,counting calories, and making sure that I ate above my BMR. I was 167 lbs, 5'1", and a size 12 when I started in 12/09.. By 9/10, I was 110 lbs and a size 0.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's always harder to lose weight in the end. Cut your calories back. You shouldn't need as many now that you're lighter lol

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well, I really can't, lol, I already eat 1000 or less a day. I was eating waaayyy too much before and cut back and that was helping. Then I stopped losing by just eating less so I started dancing and lost a few more lbs. Now I dance every morning and am the same weight for 2 weeks now! I would like to run every night but my husbands work schedule is so crazy I can never get a good routine going!
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 3:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sometimes if you are doing the same exercises your body gets used to it and you can't lose anymore. Maybe try new exercises or change what you're eating. Eat the same amount of calories if you must, but eat less carb and more protein.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If you aren't already, try doing some HIIT--high intensity interval training. It will kick your butt, burn more calories, and increase your level of fitness without adding extra exercise time.
    Google it for articles and instructions...it's good stuff.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I totally agree with mcginnisc- you're eating too few calories, and you've slowed your metabolism. You need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day (go to mypyramid.org to get a more specific breakdown). If you eat small frequent meals (eat every 3 hours or so), it will help get your metabolism up, and keep you from starving yourself. When you eat too few calories, your body goes into starvation mode, and starts holding onto calories. You also start breaking down MUSCLE (muscle burns calories), which further slows things down, and makes you feel fatigued.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You are fine. Two weeks isn't a horrible plateau. Just keep doing what you have been doing and stay hydrated. It will come off again. If you have not already done so, change up your eating especially if you have been eating the same foods for each meal.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It will happen :)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think changing everything up helps, your diet, your workouts, etc..
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:36 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Ok, so I did break through! Yea :) I actually lost almost 2 lbs. in the past 2 days! I know I am not eating enough, but I really was eating way too much before and really wanted to shock my body, I know not the right way to go about it but I am going to raise my calories again once I get to where I want to be and change up my workouts every now and again. I am hoping to be able to run stairs a few nights a week, I am attempting to climb Mt. Fuji this summer so I gotta get in some sort of climbing shape :P But thanks for all the tips ladies!
    ILoveCade

Comment by ILoveCade (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Mar. 2, 2011