Best way to suggest exercise to hubby without upsetting him?

Hubby was always active and pretty fit, an accident at work meant he couldn't do his job anymore and has had to take one that entails sitting all day every working day more or less. So the fit hubby is no longer, not sure what sort of workout or similar to mention.

Latest

Good news, hubby has decided to join me so we can exercise together and lose weight together, thank goodness I was dreading having to do this on my own, now need to decide what program to use, any ideas from you guys have tried personally?

Joss

Josslyn

Asked by Josslyn at 5:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If you don't want to cause hard feelings...I say leave it alone...unless you ask him to walk with you. If you start working out then suggest he comes with you so you can have some time together. Good luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Find subtle ways to have him do it with you, but make it seem like you want to exercise. Like tell him youre having a hard time getting motivated and want to go for a walk or run before/after dinner. Take up an exercise class (something he might be interested in, like kickboxing) and ask him to join you, ask him for tips on exercising... you could start small with exercising on the wii or kinect if he likes video games.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• tell him YOU want to get fit and ask him for his help. tell him you would like him to be your workout buddy!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My husband wants me to exercise and he goes about it the wrong way. So I suggest telling him the way my husband should mention it to me.... A few suggestions: You could say that you would like to see if he would be interested in getting fit together. Take walks together keep each other motivated. Also, being honest but you tact. You could say that even though you love him for him you are concerned about his health.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't make it about him... Invite him to workout with you! Just tell you need a workout buddy to stay motivated!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I started working out, and slowly my husband came around to working out with me. We go for family walks in the evening. We just bought bikes. We do an abs workout together.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Leave it alone. The last thing you want to do is make him feel bad for not exercising..cause you just might do that.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 9:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Suggest it as a great opportunity to spend time together.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• After I had my first baby I ask my hubby to help me get back in shape. We sat on the floor feet to feet and held hands and one would lay back and the other would pull him into the sitting position and then the other would lay back, etc. It really helps the abs. After that we would take walks together and sometimes he would chase me and we had so much fun. It really wasn't like we where exercising at all. We start going swimming together and then we bought bicycles and rode those. Also, not trying to be crude, but sex is one of the best exercises you can do. burns lots of calories and tones muscles. one more, get him to help clean the garage or shed or yard, etc help him so you aren't making it feel like work, I could go on and on but my husband and I where in great shape back in the day. lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'd tell him I want to exercise but don't want to do it alone and ask him to do it with me

Answer by admckenzie at 10:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2011