Why is there

a debate about being a working mom vs SAHM?

Is the assumption that they are the only capable parent?
If one of the parents is home and one is working, what's it matter which gender is pulling each duty?

I don't get it. That debate seems to totally overlook the other parent completely (or I'm missing something else).

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It shouldn't matter, each is doing what is best for their family. I found a very great sitter for my children, they are happy, healthy and know that their parents love them. We could not afford anything if both of us were not working.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't get it either. When I was working, I got flack from those staying home. Now that I'm home, I get flack from working moms, especially since my kids are older. I think some of it is envy but every woman/family needs to do what's best for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have been a mom awhile and I know that when I was younger being a SAHM was not at all a cool choice. Our moms were the women who fought for equal rights so someone like me making a choice to be a homemaker was frowned on by moms who felt they could "have it all", you know work, kids, family, husband etc. For me it just seemed like why would I want to be that tired? If I was a single mom then sure ok, I get it. But if you have two parents and are able to make it why wear yourself out?

I honestly think that is where the debate started. Now it has just morphed into what it is. Moms arguing about whose choice is better.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree! I don't understand why there is even a debate between SAHM and working mothers. What works for one family may not work for another, and a third family may do something completely different altogether. It's not really comparable in that way.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Both moms are just as great as the next. I actually give kiddos to most working moms because I personally believer they work harder. I know once I start working I will be a full time working mom and a full time mother since my kids father won't help. Never has before. Both SAHM and working moms work hard. and the only thing that matters in the end is that their kids are well taken care of and loved.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2011