What age should my son get cereal?

4 MONTHS? 6 months?

And no not in the bottle...

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 8:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I started early so I say 4 months
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My oldest started at 4 months, then I started later with each of my children until my 5th didn't start until 6 months. Generally, your ped will tell you when they think is a good time to start. Some people don't ever give cereal and just go straight to other foods. For me, it was a good choice since I was breastfeeding and am anemic no matter how many iron supplements I take. Infant cereal is an excellent source of iron.

Answer by missanc at 9:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son was maybe 6 weeks old or so.  No one can really answer when your baby *should* get cereal, it's up to you.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I always say, nothing other then breast milk or formula until at least 6 mos of age. Also, you don't HAVE to use cereal, ever. You CAN start with a fruit or veggie if you prefer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• At LEAST 4 months, but I held off with my older son until he was almost 8 months because he just wasn't ready for solids. My DDs and youngest son got theirs at 6 months.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011