Babies drinking cow milk?

My dad said something about how I had been given cow milk as a baby.. They didn't buy formula.. he said.

SO WHEN DID FORMULA COME OUT?

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 8:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My Grandmother had goats milk when she was a baby! lol

But the serious truth is that I know people that gave their kids milk because they couldn't afford formula... it happens, I guess.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't know. My mom gave me formula when I was a baby. I'm almost 40 so at least that long ago.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My mom and her cousins all had formula and they were born in the early 1940's. Here is the Wikipedia article.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• So dad was a cheap-O?

Hmmm... Good possibility..

I know my grandmother said she used something called.. PEP MILK For her kids..
    2boys4momma

Comment by 2boys4momma (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• "Formula" as in what we have today? Or Baby Milk? Carnation Condensed milk was sold as a substitute for mother's milk when it came out in the 1900s.
    Also
    The origins of the Nestlé Company go all the way back to 1867, when Henri Nestlé created a nutritious product for infants that could be used by mothers who were unable to breast-feed. Henri Nestlé made use of his family escutcheon, the "Nest", a graphic translation of his name, little nest, to personify the business. Evocative of security, maternity and affection, nature and nourishment, family and tradition, this symbol remains the central element in the Nestlé corporate identity.
    Farine Lactée Nestlé Merchant, chemist and inventor Henri Nestlé, established in Vevey, Switzerland, makes a breakthrough when his new formula saves the life of a premature infant. Later that year, he begins production of his new product, Farine Lactée Nestlé.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 8:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My mom had formula as a baby and she was born in 1948, so it's been around a long time.

Answer by missanc at 9:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My mom was born in 1956. She has 4 older siblings and 1 younger. All 6 of them had cows milk from day 1. My mom breastfed my siblings & I til we were a year old.

Anonymous