When did carseats become manditory for children?

Had a talk with my father about how so much has changed since I was a baby.. He said I didn't have a carseat... I am only 31 going on 32...

So when did it become a law? Is it different state to state?

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 8:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Different from state to state. But most states had some kind of carseat law for at least infants, in the 80s.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Like everything different from state to state but my the mid 80s it was mandatory. I had my first baby in 1989 and remember it was still a relatively new concept and the car seats were not at all like what we see today.

Answer by gemgem at 8:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my mom said it was not a law when i was born either..but became a law in our state when my sister was born in 86
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i was born in 82 and i remember mom telling me she had me in her lap on the way home from the hospital.haha, i remember laying on the back seat mom would hit the brake and i would roll to the floor of the car and i was like do it again! ..so much has changed..things were simpler in the 80's...
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:11 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yep. I remember when I was small.. Don't know how old. That the back door fell open while the car was moving. I didn't have a car seat on and I only stayed in the car because I somehow grabbed the seatbelt laying on the seat.. I remember also my mom and aunt were in the car freaking out..

But I think that alone proves why some legislation had to happen! lol
    2boys4momma

Comment by 2boys4momma (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• omg momma i have had that happen too..at the time i didn't think it was dangerous i thought it was funny that someone grabbed me till the car stopped...i had no sense of danger when i was a kid.
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• mid 80s i think wish they would have had them sooner. my aunt had a newborn baby and got hit by a drunk driver back in the late 60's early 70's the baby was being held by her and died on scene. they were not even a half a mile from my grandparents home. my dad was being driven to work and his friend was a nurse they came upon the scene all she would tell him was i got to go to hospital and your coming with. he said when they brought the baby in you could see its little hand sticking out from under the blanket. My aunt was not right from then on. It destroyed her life. she is now at peace and with her baby. but it was so hard. i would always ask when i was little why does she keep talking about a baby etc and crying. i always stood up and you would think dad would realize it was not good. he would tell mom oh she can't see out let her stand :(
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's different state to state and country to country. I dont' know exactly when it became mandatory- I'm also in my early 30s and did not have a carseat. My oldest child is almost nine and it was a law when he was born, and since he has been born the law regarding when to remove the five point harness and how long to use a booster seat has been changed in my province (kids must be in a booster, by law, until they are eight years old in my province, and in a five point harness until they are a minimum of 40 lbs.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was born in 1980, my siblings in 1984 & 1986, and my mom has pictures of all of us in a carseat of sorts - similar to today's infant seats but not as "safe" of whatever - they were something the hospital lent out, and had to be returned when baby was 6 months old. I don't remember anything with my sibs though, I only remember once we were a little older and just sat all in the backseat together!
    Anonymous