Does your child wear braces?

If so, how did you pay for them? Finance or paid in full?
My son is starting treatment today and we still are undecided on how we are going to pay for them! Total cost $4900! $200 a month for 24 months.
I had braces as a child but my mother was on Medicaid so that paid for mine. Too bad we don't qualify for that program! I've heard of gov grants that help pay for them, do you know anything about that? Thanks

Asked by mamaada at 8:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• Our dental insurance paid for all but about $2,500. We paid $100/month for our share. In fact, we just made the last payment in January and she'll be getting her braces off next month!!

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Only 4900? wow you are lucky, it's going to be over 6 grand for my daughter *le sigh*. With my son we put a good chunk down and then paid every month, intrest free

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We paid up front because we could at the time. We got a small discount for doing so. With DD we will likely have to finance. We find out the "good" news on Monday.

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Luckily my kid doesn't, but wow that's a lot!

Answer by bcraine at 10:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My daughter's braces cost $6,600.  We received a $400 discount by paying in full up front.

Answer by beeky at 11:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My daughter qualified to have medicaid pay for them. She gets them off in october. Are you 100% positive you don't qualify for medicaid?? DD had enough "issues" to qualify.

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:40 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Yes, I'm sure we don't qualify for medicaid. We "make too much money". Plus, my son has insurance through my husbands work that will only cover $1000.

Comment by mamaada (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We are currently getting estimates for my oldest. We have dental insurance through my husband's work, but the remainder will definitely be financed!

Answer by missanc at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i had braces for three years then they were $3500 this was 1997 to 2000. we also had medicaid but we had to get prior approval. Medicaid has has step down programs where you pay like 35 monthly for full coverage! good luck

Answer by augboy11 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011