For women who got up the nerve to leave your husband, where did you stay and how did you get a place of your own?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• why does the woman have to leave?
    kick HIS ass out.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:28 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Moved back in with their parents or a really really close friend that they could trust. Somewhere it was safe. Then they slowly started saving money ..... now comfortable living and very own apartment, not bad i'd say. Goodluck.
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 9:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I got a 2K loan from my parents - fortunate, I know. I hated asking them for money, and it hurt my pride a little but they were glad I was getting out of the situation I was in. I got my place to stay and a job (I had been a SAHM) within 2 days of each other. Then as I was moving out I went to the bank and took out half of what was in our account. It was in his name so he had to go with me. I had thought that part would be harder than it was. I think he was in shock that I was actually leaving!

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i left, stayed with my best friend till i got a job and an aprtament :)
    raynebowstarz

Answer by raynebowstarz at 9:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I got another bank account he didnt know about & socked money away. I also got a job. When I had enough money put aside, I got an apartment & moved out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I kicked him out, but I did drain our accounts into one in my name beforehand and then I got loans (in school) and applied for whatever government programs I could, including cs. GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i packed a bag said i was going on a vacation to visit my family ( i did that bout once or twice a year) and i never came back it's been 7 mo im living with mom and am sooo much more happier knowing i'll live a longer life and not having to constantly be walking on eggshells... just do it.. if your in fear of your life a shelter is an awesome sanction or family and friends if you both are just not getting along take the steps to ensure you'ld be able to survive without his assistants eg a job saving money etc... best of luck
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I established a secret bank account and used a friends address. I started putting money away as quickly and as much as possible. I was about ready to look for an apt. when he got arrested again for driving under revocation and was sent first to jail then to rehab he was gone for a couple of months. During that time I visited him once and told him we were thru...
    Good Luck to you, You can do this.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• 1st time I left an abuser. I actually had to have an escape plan and couldnt even tell my mom where I was going. I stayed with a friend out of state. I stayed with her around 2 months. I got a job and my own place then.

2nd time I stayed with a friend again. I HAD kicked him out mind you, and found out 2 weeks later he had stopped paying the mortgage months before so I had to move.

Answer by gemgem at 11:00 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I left and moved across the country- lived with a friend until I saved enough $ to live on my own- had a tiny studio with my daughter...gave up a lot of luxuries, but I had my daughter and freedom which is all that mattered. Good luck! Oh and btw now we have everything I used to have, just took A LOT of hard work and independence.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011