11 month old with Bronchitis. Help

What can I do to help ease his cough? He's on some some sort of prescription decongestant, and a anti-biotic. He coughs constanly. He doesnt seem to feel bad. I give him juice, but even watered down he seems to get diarrhea and I don't want to add to the problems. What else is good for kids with a cough? Also I have the vicks vapor plug in(like a glade plug in). I know he's coughing stuff up, but he doesnt know how to spit it out. Help. Just suggestions to help make him feel better.

lnmauldin7

Asked by lnmauldin7 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only give him pedialite or watered down gatorade. Also use a cold air humidifier. Thats about all you can do. The prescription should help so just wait it out and do what you can to make him comfortable.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• And dont worry about him spitting it out. As long as its out of his lungs he will be fine. It will just be digested.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• How about some baby vicks vapo rub? Also some hydration.. A vaporizer would be great. You might want to talk to the Dr. again. He might need some breathing treatments. If nothing else works, try the old stand by.. take him in the bathroom, shut the door and turn on all the hot water, steam up the bathroom and stay in there awhile with him. Make sure you cover him good when you leave though, to prevent a chill..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I have a cold air, but dr has told me to use warm air. So I'm lost. And my cold air one is ANCIENT. Dont know if that matters. Do i use plain water or add some of the vicks stuff u put in there?
    lnmauldin7

Answer by lnmauldin7 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Get a warm air vaporizer, they are pretty cheap. You can also go in the bathroom, shut the door and turn the shower on really hot. Let the room fill up with steam and stay in there for a while.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I dont know if you feed him anything dairy but I would probably stop doing while he has bronchitis. Dairy is mucuous producing which can add to the symptoms and will not be helpful to his recovery.

What juice are you giving him?

If is from a store and is not freshly squeezed by your veyr own hands I would be wary. Sugar as well as artificial flavourings etc irritate the mucous membranes causing mucous to be produced. It also effects the immune system.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Juice instore is never fresh so the sugar in it has been changed - sugar in fresh fruit is a different story. That is the point I was getting at. Sugar in fresh fruits will not irritate the mucous membranes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:14 PM on Nov. 20, 2008