Could Exzema in babys be caused by exposure to second hand smoke or a smoking mother?

I have a 7 month baby with severe exzema, and nothing the Dr is prescribing helps relieve it. I feel so bad for him because he scratches night and day! and is oozing and red all over.... Im becoming so depressed and sleep deprived to help him sleep....
When I found out I was 2 month pregnant we had just moved in to an apartment it was good a few weeks and then the STRONG CIGAR smoke started.... well My husband and I told the landlord if he could smoke outside becasue he lived downstrairs and the smoked moved up... BUT IT DIDNT HELP.... He continued to smoke and it smelled sooooo strong!.... back and fourth complaining with the landlord...I ALSO mentioned each time I was pregnant... but it never stopped... we finally got out of our lease and left at 5 months pregnan....to this day Iwonder if that affected my baby?
Ive bumped into three other mothers who said their child had exzema and they were exposed to 2nd hand smoke.... Does anyone have a child with exzema and have smoked or exposed to 2nd hand smoke while pregnant?

bb0

Asked by bb0 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• My youngest has it & we do not smoke nor do we allow anyone to smoke in our home. We also do not go to homes where people smoke inside. While second hand smoke has other effects, I do not think one of them is eczema.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I had severe exzema when I was a baby and small child. I don't remember that ever being a possibility, but I suppose nothing can be ruled out without an expert's opinion. Moreover, I think it's just the child's way. My doctor used to tell my parents that I was allergic to my own skin. Ugh. I grew out of it though! I would talk to a Dr. and maybe even a dermatologist. Also be leary of those Baby Detergents, I still used to have trouble with those... I still to this day only use and believe in Aveeno.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my baby was never exposed to smoke and he never had it. I hope this helps u with your answer. Also we have never smoked.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My daughter has it and I don't smoke. We use aquaphor and I try not to bathe her everyday.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I know ppl say "dont bathe everyday" but our dermatologist said that only works with dry skin...eczema is not just dry skin. He told us to bathe her EVERY DAY & use a thick moisturizer afterward(unscented). At least 3 times a week bathe with some mineral oil in the water. Only use unscented laundry detergent & unscented fabric softer. Also unscented shampoo & body wash. When we did as we were directed the condition became under control in a few weeks. And it was bad before that. My daughter had oozing scabs from scratching.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My youngest had terrible eczema from the time she was born up until recently and she was never exposed to smoke. Eczema is inflammation. Many times, an underlying deficiency or a weakened immune system can be the culprit. In her case, dairy was a problem; once we cut that out, we noticed some improvement but it wasn't until we started her on probiotics and switched to natural products that didn't contain any petrochemicals, parabens, SLS, artificial colorings or preservatives, etc. that it finally cleared up completely. Most products, even those designed for babies and/or for eczema contain dangerous chemicals which are known to exacerbate the condition. And the Rx creams (Elidel) are known to cause cancer so please stay away from those.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have found a cream that works the best, is safe and can be used daily and you can now bathe your baby daily. It is an intensive skin therapy lotion used for eczema, psoriasis and all skin issues. I will send you the link where you can see it.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 11:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2011