Two toddlers playing together...one takes away something from the other..do you take it and give it back to the 1st toddler or do you have the taker awayer give it back? LOL

Just wondering what your point of view is on it?

I babysit a little girl that is only 3 months younger than my 2 year old daughter.So, of course they have thier "ITS MINE" toddler moments...all out battles I tell ya :)

When they fight over a toy (sometimes something as stupid as a play spoon when there are like 10 thousand in there) I would just take it from the taker awayer and give it back to the first one.
THEN I thought to myself..wouldnt it be a better lesson learned if I had the taker awayer GIVE it back themselves. WHOA. Okay.easier said then done for sure..but hey..maybe its worth the headache in the long run?

Then there are the days when My whole mudroom is packed full of toys I've just taken away from them BOTH and put out there just to get rid of the fight all together when they just won't stop over a particular toy.

GOTTA LOVE THE TODDLER!! haha...I really do tho..they are so cute :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my twins, by about 2 I started asking them to give it back. I'd say, "Oh, _______, that isn't sweet. Now give the _________ back to brother/sister. It's not your turn right now." If they didn't comply I took whatever it was and handed it to the other one while saying, "Uh Oh, it's so sad you didn't share with your brother/sister." Then I'd take the taker to their room for a little alone time. It was hard at first, but at 3 1/2 I don't have to deal with that issue too often anymore. So, I'd say it is worth the effort. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I make my daughter give things back when she takes. She is kind of a bully and I always catch her ripping toys out of her firends hands when we are on play dates. I always make her give them back. If I don't intervene, many times it turns into her hair pulling and full on crying.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• At that age, it's actually more fun to sit back and observe how their responses are. I never believed in taking away and getting involved in their spats, especially at that age. Moreover, you can observe and get ideas on what makes them tick.. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2011