Sippy Cup trouble...

My daughter is 10 months old and flat out refuses to drink out of a suppy cup for her age range. No matter what I try it doesn't work. Now if her brother (who is 22 months old) leaves his straw sippy cups around she'll drink out of those no problem. Anyone else have this issue? What have you done to get your little one to drink out of a regular sippy cup?

etanert

Asked by etanert at 10:20 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why cant you just let her have the kind of cup she likes? There's no "rule" that says she HAS to drink out of an "age appropriate" sippy cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Her doctor said that it's a developmental thing she has to learn how to drink out of a reg. sippy first and then go to the straw one....
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I say give her a straw sippy if thats the one she drinks out of.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've never heard of a developmental anything that says that a child has to drink out of a regular sippy first. My DD when straight froma bottle at 1 1/2 to a regaulat open cup, she never had a sippy at all. Some children are just more ready than others. sounds like ur dd is just more advanced and isnt interested in the other sippys. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I know that all kids are different so that may be why she doesn't like to use her sippy cup for her age range. Also I heard it is also better for the child to use a straw sippy cup for their speech development. The straw sippy cup helps the child use certain mouth muscles that help their speech. So what I would do is just let the child use the straw sippy cup.
    Mom0413

Answer by Mom0413 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I never heard of a developmental stage for sippy cups lol. Some moms go from weaning off a bottle straight to a regular cup. The goal in the end is to get them to drink from a regular cup anyhow. I've raised 6 kids & nobody has been stunted developmentally from not drinking from a sippy cup lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Thanks!
    etanert

Comment by etanert (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't see a problem with giving her the straw cup. Also, you can keep offering the other one, she will probably pick it up at some point.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son is a little picky when it comes to sippy cups and he is 10 months as well. He tends to drink out of a softer nipple ( we use nuby and nuk sippys). What types of liquids have you tried?
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my son is 10 months and drinks out of just his sippy..i actually started with a straw sippy (didnt no the developmental thing) and then moved to a real sippy..worked great for me..baba is gone already!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 2:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011