How long is your sons hair and how long can you bite your tongue over it?lol

Sigh. Okay. I'm all for personal expression with kids when it comes to thier hair and clothes...etc.
As some of you know..I've had my "moments" with my 10 year old where I've pretty much had to put myself in a quiet time out in order not to start an unnecessary battle,lol.

So we've outgrown the Mohawk (halleluiah) and we' ve moved on the the Faux Hawk(so much better)...there was a period in between where is hair looked like a replica of one of the Beatles,lol. And I swear..I did not put a bowl on top his head and just cut..even tho it looked that way,lol.

Anyway..so the cute faux hawk it was..we compromised with his last cut..he went shorter around the ears for me and I agreed for the bangs that he wanted to be longer but he wanted them to be able to push off to the side..kinda like the Justin Beiber look..but NOT because he says no way and he can't stand Beiber(think he's jealous cuz all the girls like Beiber,lol)
Okay.Fine.
NOW...his dad...who lives in another state thought it would be a fun contest for the two of them to see who can grow the longest hair before summer.
Lord, help me.Save me. His hair is already 2 months past due for a new hair cut (it takes me a while to convince him to go with out hog tyig him and throwing him in the trunk).
Its in his eyes.It drives his teacher insane...we've had talks about it over the phone(his teacher has a good sense of humor about it lol).

Anyway...guess I'm just kinda venting over it. Nagging him about it won't do any good..I think he enjoys doing things I don't really like anyway..so maybe if I act like long hair is the best way to go and beg him NOT to get a haircut will work? Hmmm...reverse psychology? Will it work? lol

So anyway...how long is your sons hair and are you having the same mommy issue as me??

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son had hair down his back. Now my grandson has long hair. As long as it's clean and neat it doesn't bother me. It shows they have high self esteem and confidence to fight the norm like that. I wouldn't take that away from him.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I never had an issue with my either of my sons hair until they became older teens...when I paid for the hair cut they got what I wanted. End of story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My oldest went through a growing his hair stage last year, when he was 11/12. Even his favorite teacher would say things like "dude, get a haircut!" I never pushed him with it. Not worth the fight. It drove DH and his grandmothers nuts. I just let him be. The harder they all pushed, the harder he pushed back. And the kid has a head of really thick, wavy hair. It wasn't easy for him.

Once I convinced everyone to leave him alone, the hair got cut. He now asks for haircuts. and he just saw a photo of him with the long hair - it was past his shoulders - he said "OMG! I looked like a girl!!"
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My oldest let his hair grow to some unmanagable looking afro kind of thing. It was just out of control. ANyway, he got a girl friend who convinced him he looked goofy & ever since he's kept it cut in a nice way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• He is 9 and it is high and tight. He has no other option.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:42 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't give my 9 year old a choice. As the mom I have the ability to make his life a living hell. What I say goes. I'm all for self expression but not at the expense of looking like a bum. He hates haircuts to begin with, so I keep it shaved to limit the need for a lot of cuts.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Both my boys went through this long hair shaggy look. My oldest really prefers his short, but sometimes in the summer he'll grow it out a bit. Lately though he's been begging me to get it cut. He also recently bleached it because all the boys that qualified for the State Wrestling tournament bleach their hair, so it needs cut and the color needs fixed. Football season - he shaves it off.

My younger son on the other hand likes his hair long and shaggy. Which would be okay but in all honesty I just can't stand it, when it comes time to trim it up - it never fails it looks like a bowl cut and I hate it. However come wrestling season it has to be cut short, so we shaved it (too short). I'm waiting for it to grow back out so we can get the faux hawk, I'm hoping he likes that better than the shaggy hair. It's his hair though so I try not to make a big deal about it, sometimes its hard.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My sons like to keep their hair short. I do remember my oldest son had a rat tail. His grandfather gave him 10 dollars to get rid of it.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I havent had any issues lately. My 10 yr old likes his hair short and tidy. Thank God. My older boys though were more like your son. Mind you one has very thick wavy hair so when he grew his out if was absolutely all over the place. When he got into high school I think he realized it didnt look good lol and he cut it short. My other son is now 18 and STILL has long hair. Problem is its thin and looks unkept. I just got to a point I guess where I knew arguing with them didnt matter much. And yes when I stopped "caring" about the hair, the want of a lip ring, eye brow ring, tight jeans, and all the other fads suddenly they just didnt do it anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• LOL anon! I wish it were that easy for my son and I! I've tried that route..ends up I have to drag himn kicking and screaming to the barber if I say hes gonna get the cut I want whether he likes it or not,lol. He's a stubborn kid that definitley walks to the beat of his own drum!lol
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2011