Refusing the breast

My son who is 3 months old has recently started refusing the breast, he will be some what fussy so I will try and nurse him but he just starts crying and pushing away from me, now I recently started him on some solids which he loves he was always trying to reach for my food when I eat so I began giving him cereal with some fruits in it and I dont want to stop because he really does love it, but why is he now refusing to nurse? Is this just a fase? He will only nurse when he is really really hungry now and I know its not because of giving him a bottle because I never have

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The AAP recommends beginning solids between 4 to 6 months. I would cut out the solids and return to exclusive breastfeeding for now. If he is still refusing the breast, I would speak to his pediatrician and/or a lactation consultant. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You could try a nipple shield. They are thin plastic (rubber? latex?) things that go right on your nipples. They are sold at Target and Wal Mart (maybe other pharmacys too) for a few bucks. They work GREAT; just be careful, they are so easy to use you might never want to go back to 'naked nipples' (Not that big of a deal, I breast fed with these puppies for months). Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 6:11 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• "The AAP recommends beginning solids between 4 to 6 months." THIS IS INCORRECT The current AAP guidelines say nothing but breastmilk (or formula) for the first 6 months. Unfortunately lots of Drs still use the old guidelines. Starting solids before 6 months can interfere with baby's ability to absorb iron, for one thing. Rice cereal and fruit is lower in fat and calories than breastmilk. He really needs the breastmilk now! Stop the solids and exclusively BF for a few more months. It is very likely that he is refusing the breast due to them. I realize he loves it, but he'd love a big bowl of chocolate ice cream every meal too (ha ha)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• maggiemom2000, do you have a link to the AAP guidelines you referred to? I'm not arguing with you--I'm just looking for the most accurate information. I haven't had a baby in 2.5 years, and all I can find on the AAP website says 4-6 months. Just curious as I'm due with a new baby in February. This is what I found (published 9/08):

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Have you tried pumping and feeding in a bottle? Maybe its something you are eating that he doesnt like in your milk.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• It's probably not a very good idea to pump and give him a bottle, that make problems worse. The best advice I can give you is to stop giving solids and continue offering the breast. He may like eating solids, so does my LO, but they can like it a little TOO much and stop wanting to nurse because they'd rather have solids. You could try giving it a break for a couple weeks and see if that helps, if it doesnt, you should call your pedi. or even better a lactation consultant. Have you been eating dairy?? I had to cut out dairy because it hurt my little girl's belly and a couple days after i stopped eating it our problems had been solved.

Anyways, the most likely problem is that your giving him solids, you should give it a break and see if things improve. It's a bit early to be giving him anything but breastfmilk anyways.

Good luck!!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:44 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• it could be many things..what u eat(like garlic(ur milk could taste bad from what u eat, could be his gums hurt,im gessing its something u ate
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2008