Have you ever been exempt from jury duty because of hardship?

I just got a jury summons in the mail and wrote a letter telling them I have a newborn, my husband works third shift, sleeps during the day (it's our only income) and I have no one to watch my baby. Do you think they will dismiss me or not? It says right on the web page that I'm expected to find childcare as they don't have it available for me. I don't know what I'm going to do if they tell me I have to go!

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:35 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Call them, tell them your situation and see if you still need to go in. I got a summons last year and I called the courthouse, told her my situation and she sent me a form to fill out and send back-- and that excused me from going in and from jury duty.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I only got excused from it because I was already involved in a lawsuit and I had to prove it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You show up w/ the baby with you & explain you have no money for a sitter & nobody available to watch the baby. Pretty sure they will exclude you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• OP, are you breastfeeding? How old is your newborn? I was excused a couple of times when my youngest was smaller. He has an Autism Spectrum Disorder and was in a lot of therapy. My dh would have had to take off work if I wasn't able to take him. I called the clerks office and they issued me an excuse without making me even report for duty. They sent it to me in writing before the court date.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:47 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I called the Jury Duty office direct and told the Woman that I was the primary caregiver for my small child and she said to make a copy of his Birth Certificate & send it in with the filled out jury duty paperwork. She said if I don't hear back from them then that's it, I was dismissed. I have not received another since. Call them direct & explain. I doubt they will give you a hard time.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:55 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I was in a jury screening pool where a woman brought her daughter with Down Syndrome-the Judge went nucking futs, admonishing her to leave or be held in contempt. The message was clear... do not attempt to send a message or school the court.

Look on the back of the summons for instructions on deferral-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've been excused, more than once.   Showed up to court on the day I was supposed to be there, and they asked if anyone had problems comitting to jury duty.  When I explained, they let me go.  It was pretty simple.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I got excused from jury duty because I had kids at school- and no one to take/pick kids up from the different schools, and no one to watch my special needs child. They excused me--for the time being. I am sure that I will probably get called up again in a few years- and by then I should be able to serve my 'term'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• misses nick, that's my problem as well. I live in PA, my family is in TN and my in-laws are in FL right now. I don't have anyone to watch the baby. My other kids are in school and since my husband is the 3rd shift manager, there is no way they are going to let him take the day- or god forbid- a week off so he can watch him.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• http://www.eriecountygov.org/courts/juryduty/faq.aspx#14
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2011