Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I have went through the state to get my child support. I've requested enforcement 3 times and they do nothing. I have saved money to get a lawyer. What can i do now?

The back pay is already 3500. I almost feel as though the state should now pay this for not doing their job.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • Been there done that. Ask for a supervisor and if and when that does not work go up the chain of command. I ended up writing letters to the main office, my Governor, Senator etc until they did something. They did end up helping me. Child support was NOT happy but they got forced to do their jobs.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • ROFL my back pay is 17k.. they finally served him.. and they won't till a year after he is delinquent. My son and I were on food stamps barely making it and he was off in Scotland on vacation.. drives me insane, but they do help eventually. They will start taking it from his pay check when and if they can.

    Answer by Punkslilncs at 10:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Call your case worker and tell her you need the paperwork to file criminal charges against him. They will put a warrant out for his arrest, just ask my ex who is sitting iin jail right now! lol

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:59 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • My ex is 15k behind and he paid $40 in dec (hahaha) and was arrested in jan. for back child support. He is also behind 16k with another ex

    Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:01 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Punks my ex and your ex sound related. Once I finally got some actions from CSE they found my ex on vacation. He had his then 19 yr old gf in CA taking her to Disneyland LOL. They asked if he knew he had to pay and when he could. He told them I cant talk, Im in line for the Matterhorn LMAO. A week later he had an arrest warrant for Felony flagrant non support and was found guilty. I asked him if Disneyland was worth it>?

    Answer by gemgem at 11:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • It varies state to state I would believe. My kids' ''father'' owes a lot of backpay, and even owes the state money from TANF, and he's still a free man. He went to jail on 2 accts of driving on suspended, but nothing for child support,. it's sad. I get a 65$ payment maybe if i'm lucky every 2 months,.....for 2 kids LOL!!!!! (and that's his mother making the payment, not him btw!)

    Answer by knicole0708 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • First they have to find him to serve him, and if he is hiding I feel for you. They usually wait till court is coming then serve. If he is jobless not much they can enforce I'm sorry to say. And I just looked and it is 37k he is behind sorry for the miss info. But finally I got 80 out of him when they started docking his pay.. which they were meant to be doing all along but he just quits when they start and he works under the table.

    Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:06 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • My ex is only $3,000 behind and in VA they will go after them after 3 months behind IF you call and request it. First they do tax intercept so you get their tax return. Then, if they don't start paying soon after that, they suspend the driver's license, which worked for my ex for a little while. If they can find where they are working (you can help with this if you know) they will start taking it out of his paycheck. VA is pretty good about enforcement IF you keep on them and you get a good worker. Sometimes switching workers helps. Also, I am in OR now and my younger daughter's dad and I agreed he would never pay child support if he never contacted me to see her ever again because he is a worthless piece of sh*t. Well, she is on medicaid so now the state of Oregon is going after him for child support and he is pissed. I agree with them b/c she does need the insurance as I can't afford it. And the courts won't let him see her.

    Answer by huntin_mama at 11:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • State isn't going to pay, and they shouldn't. Are they having a hard time finding the father? I'm sure it's extra hard if he jumps job to job, or just isn't working at all.

    If you have information on him, go down in person to have it handled. Sorry you even have to go through that.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • They can't "enforce" child support if he is working under the table. All they can wait until he is far enough behind in your state to revoke his license and then put him in jail. In TX he has to be behind 3 full months of payments before they do anything.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:19 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.