Have a terrible stain on my glider rocker...

I am usually pretty good at getting stains out of things, but my 3 year old smeared an ointment, mostly petroleum jelly, all over the fabric of the glider rocker. So now it has greasy smears all over it. :( It is a light cream color. I have tried some Simple Green diluted and blotting it on and off and it is hard to tell how much that helped. Has anyone delt with something similar? How did you get the greasy mess out?
Thanks!

Blakesmommy0907

Asked by Blakesmommy0907 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Take the cover off, wash with as hot water as the fabric can handle, and liquid dish soap- BY HAND. Use a toothbrush to gently scrub the stain, and rinse well. Air dry. If stain is still visible, repeat. Do not machine dry, it will set the stain.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:02 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I didn't specify. The cover doesn't come off, so I can't wash it in the machine. Also, it is that microsuede material.
    Blakesmommy0907

Comment by Blakesmommy0907 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Petroleum jelly is oil-based, so it will have to be removed using a solvent, such as mineral spirits or a dry-cleaning kit. You can purchase either of these at any home improvement store, but you will need to be very careful using them as it's easy to damage fabric if you use too much or use it incorrectly.
    The best thing to do if possible is to remove the entire cushion (if it snaps off the chair) and take it to a dry cleaner.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would use dawn dish det. and water and a rag. simple, grease cutter. rinse with water on a rag several times. good luck
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011